Views
Helpful
Replies

Update prompt when Jabber logs in

Bob Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

Hello!

We have a customer who is having an issue where they aren't getting the upgrade prompt when they log in with thier Jabber/Movi client.  When I register with my Movi to their infrastructure, I am getting the prompt.  What kind of communication is happening when the prompt is sent?  I did a packet capture using Wireshark, but I did not see the upgrade communitcation in the lone SIP/XML packet that my computer received from the VCS.  Is the upgrade prompt sent in a SSLv3 or a TCP packet?  Have there been any reports of firewalls blocking the upgrade message?  Is there a special port that needs to be open?

This is a weird probelm for us, as there is very little explanation about the upgrade notification.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bob,

you should be looking for a SIP NOTIFY message sent from the provisioning VCS to the Jabber Video client. This NOTIFY contains all provisioning configuration for the user in question, including software update information.

In the network capture, you should see Jabber Video (Or Movi) send a SIP SUBSCRIBE request, followed by the provisioning VCS sending a NOTIFY towards the client assuming that the username and password provided in the SUBSCRIBE is valid.

Hope this helps,

Andreas

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Paul Woelfel
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Bob,

what version of Jabber / Movi are you using. As far as I know, SW upgrades are only supported starting from 4.2.

The Software upgrade information is delivered with the SIP provisioning request. The request containts the version number, the client should be, and links for windows and mac software. The client checks the version it is currently running and compares it with that version it should be.

Here is the part from the provisioning request:

http://someserver/url/JabberVideoSetup4.4.exe

http://someserver/url/JabberVideo.dmg

The Software is downloaded via http to the client and wil be started automatically.

Regards, Paul

Hi Paul,

The version on TMS is 4.4.  The version I am running is 4.3.  When I configure our TMS13.1.2 for the update prompt it works.  When we configure the customer's TMS13.1.2 for the update prompt, I get the prompt but they don't.  So I guess the underlying question is, "In what format is the update prompt sent?"  I don't see it in the normal SIP messaging.  Where did you get the information in your example above?  This is what I see in the SIP messaging;

Bob,

you should be looking for a SIP NOTIFY message sent from the provisioning VCS to the Jabber Video client. This NOTIFY contains all provisioning configuration for the user in question, including software update information.

In the network capture, you should see Jabber Video (Or Movi) send a SIP SUBSCRIBE request, followed by the provisioning VCS sending a NOTIFY towards the client assuming that the username and password provided in the SUBSCRIBE is valid.

Hope this helps,

Andreas

Hey there Andreas,

When I captured a Diagnostic Debug Log from the VCS-C, I could see that for some reason, the VCS was not including the Update URL when it sent the Provisioning data.  I don't know if that was because the configuration has not been properly replicated from TMS, or there is some other element that we are missing.  From what I have been able to see so far, it doesn't look any different from a setup that sends the Update prompt without issue.  I mean, really, it doesn't look that complicated.  Just add the configurations into the Provisioning Directory and it goes.  Right?

I do appreciate your input.

Hi Bob!

Besides what was written before.

Which version of movi does the customer run?

Check that the configuration templates are present for all the movi versions you are using.

You find this in the provisioning directory, root folder under "manage configuration templates".

If you lack some versions go to

http://ftp.tandberg.com/pub/software/endpoints/movi/

download the movi archives, extract the xml and upload it to the tms.

and / or

http://ftp.tandberg.com/pub/software/tms/Provisioning_Configuration_Template_Files/

If you have done that, check that you have all the software upgrade parameters set.

For movi <4.2 it is the generic software url and version. The Movi client will just show a link where the user has to download the software.

For >=4.2 you have to supply the version and link for each operating system (mac/win) which the users use

and the software will be automatically downloaded and installed.

The software version for 4.4 would be 4.4.3.14479 and use some available  webserver to store the files and use its locations.

Martin

Bob: please rate the answers using the stars below the messages!

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Hi Bob,

as Martin mentioned, if the NOTIFY does not contain the update configuration, this normally means that either is replication not working properly or that there is a problem with associating the provisioning configuration entry with the version of Movi/Jabber you are requesting the configuration with, for example if you have added a Windows Software URL for Movi 4.3 in the prov dir but signing in with a Jabber Video 4.4 client.

- Andreas