Helpful
Replies

Upgrading VCS Control v7.2.2 to 8.1

Kiril Sharkov
Level 1
Level 1

Happy new year!

In the release notes of 8.1 I saw

"Before you upgrade to X8 or later,  if   you  are  using  TMS  Agent  (legacy  mode)  for   provisioning  you  must  first  migrate  to   Cisco TelePresence  Management  Suite  Provisioning  Extension"

In our VCS I have the alarm - " Configuration warning - The VCS is running in a legacy TMS Agent mode; you are recommended to switch your system to use a different mode"

I guess this VCS was previously used with a TMS, but now we don't have one.

How can I get rid of this alarm and upgrade the VCS to 8.1?

I found that this configuration is done from the FindMe config, but we do not have option key for FindMe now and it is not active.

I hope I explained the issue as clear as possible.

Best Regards,

Kiril

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jens Didriksen
Level 9
Level 9

You can do a factory reset after logging in as root, however, this will wipe everything including the IP details.

Your best option is to contact TAC, explain to them what you want to do and what data you need kept, and ask them to arrange a re-flash of the system via USB key. (In your case it sounds like you'll only need to remove the provisioning key, however, you should also check that the external manager details have been cleared.)

Edit: Seeing your last post it very much looks like a factory reset is in order, it will re-image the system and clean the database as well, but as I said above, contact TAC for a re-flash file from USB.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are you using the provisioning features at all?  If not, you should be able to safely turn the legacy agent mode off in TMS (Administrative Tools > Configuration > General Settings - Set Enable Cisco TMS Agents to No).

Wayne

--

Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

I don't think the provisioning setting in TMS will affect the VCS itself, I might be wrong though.  You could, if you're not using provisioning at all, remove the provisioning option key from the VCS and see what happens.  Not sure if it will work or what will happen, but it might be worth a try.  Remember to take note of the option key before removing it from the VCS.

Removing the option key will stop you from doing any provisioning with the VCS - with the legacy TMS Agent, or the new Provisioning Extensions.

The error mentioned in the first post is about the legacy TMS agent being used - this will need to be disabled (on TMS) to get rid of the error message.

If you need to use the provisioning, you'll need to migrate from the Legacy TMS Agent to the new TMSPE - there is a guide for this in the TMSPE Deployment Guide (pages 21-26).

Wayne

--

Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Kiril Sharkov
Level 1
Level 1

Like I said, there is no TMS now. And I have no idea where is the TMS that was used before.:)
How can I bring the VCS to a clean state? I don't mind loosing registrations, calls etc. Just want to keep IP settings.If this would help...

If you're sure you don't need it, you can destroy the TMS Agent Database (make a backup of it first just in case).

As per the troubleshooting guide https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-23654:

Log in as root to the VCS (via ssh or telnet) and issue the command 'tmsagent_destroy_and_purge_data’.

- Type ‘Y’ when answering the questions listed.

- The VCS performs the steps required to destroy & purge the TMS Agent database.

- If the process passes, an ‘OK’ is seen at the end.

- If the process fails, an ‘Error’ message is displayed.

- If an ‘Error’ is displayed, reissue the destroy and purge command until the ‘OK’ message is received.

Wayne

--

Wayne
--

I tried this and the second time I got the "OK" message but the Alarm "

The VCS is running in a legacy TMS Agent mode; you are recommended to switch your system to use a different mode" still exist. The only thing that happened is that now I also have alarms saying that TMS Agent Database now has default passwords for LDAP and replication.

Jens Didriksen
Level 9
Level 9

You can do a factory reset after logging in as root, however, this will wipe everything including the IP details.

Your best option is to contact TAC, explain to them what you want to do and what data you need kept, and ask them to arrange a re-flash of the system via USB key. (In your case it sounds like you'll only need to remove the provisioning key, however, you should also check that the external manager details have been cleared.)

Edit: Seeing your last post it very much looks like a factory reset is in order, it will re-image the system and clean the database as well, but as I said above, contact TAC for a re-flash file from USB.

/jens

Kiril Sharkov
Level 1
Level 1

Actually removing the option key removed the alarm, so I guess I can proceed safely with upgrading to v8.1.

I will re-insert the option key when we have TMS available and are able to configure what is needed from TMS.

Did it clear the TMS Agent db password warning as well ?

/jens

No, but I reinserted the key, changed the passowords and removed it again

This removed all alarms.

Excellent

/jens

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: