Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

using converter to connect presentation cable to SX20 codec

Hi All,

We have SX20 and we need to do presentation over video calls.

we have HDMI cable pulled between the codec and the meeting table,the problem is we can't pull more cables from the codec to the meeting table.

i tried to use a HDMI to DVI converter to connect the cable to the codec but unfortunately it didn't work.

is there is specific kind of converters that'll work?

did anyone have the same issue and managed to solve it?

or at least, is there is a document from cisco mentioning that converters will not work in this case?

thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Amit: if you see it like this a "DVI2VGA" calbe is already a "converter", at least if I interpret right what Ibrahim did.

In general a cable or adapter from DVI to HDMI should work.

If it does not work, check with a different resolution or source (other computer)

and see if the cable is not to long (try a shorter one for example)

and try the adapter on some other setup.

What would not work is DVI->VGA and then VGA->DVI->HDMI as VGA would break the digital signal

VGA=Analog only, HDMI=digital only, DVI can carry both, but there can be no plain VGA2HDMI cable.

In addition Ibrahim should check how the input type for the dvi input is defined.

I woud try it with auto first and then select digital and see if it makes a difference.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

9 REPLIES
Silver

Hi Ibrahim,

SX20 being a quickset solution and not a intergrator, we dont recommed to use any coverter in between.

its best to use DVI-VGA cable shipped along with it for content sharing.

Community Member

Hi Amit,

Thank you so much for your answer.

as in the description, we can't pull the cable and make organized properly. I know it's not recommended, and I was asking if there is away to do it as workaround.

if you have any other information about it, I'll be very thankful.

Amit: if you see it like this a "DVI2VGA" calbe is already a "converter", at least if I interpret right what Ibrahim did.

In general a cable or adapter from DVI to HDMI should work.

If it does not work, check with a different resolution or source (other computer)

and see if the cable is not to long (try a shorter one for example)

and try the adapter on some other setup.

What would not work is DVI->VGA and then VGA->DVI->HDMI as VGA would break the digital signal

VGA=Analog only, HDMI=digital only, DVI can carry both, but there can be no plain VGA2HDMI cable.

In addition Ibrahim should check how the input type for the dvi input is defined.

I woud try it with auto first and then select digital and see if it makes a difference.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Community Member

hi all,

Martin, any recommended brand/vendor for the converter?

Community Member

Thanks a lot Martin,

i had to change the input type from auto to digital to get it work.

and for your reference any normal converter will work, but don't forget to change the type to digital

Community Member

the question originally asked

the question originally asked as HDMI to DVi , but then the answers go to HDMI to VGA.

so ibrahimjj did you get hdmi to Dvi to work through a converter?

I have a converter and it does not work, the PC in moninfo sees the SX20 and goes through all of the edid properly but the SX20 does not see the computer.

Community Member

hi Mark,btw My name is just

hi Mark,

btw My name is just ibrahim but i like "ibrahimjj" i should let my friends call me that :D.

anyway, yes it is working fine now with the DVI to HDMI converter.

you should use DVI 24+5 to HDMI converter, and change the input type option in the SX20 from auto to analog.

Community Member

So here's my concern, when

So here's my concern, when was the last time you saw a brand new-fresh out of the box laptop with a VGA connection on it?  We haven't because no one uses VGA anymore.  We need HDMI connections on these please. Keep IT Simple Cisco, THANKS!

VIP Purple

You can use a HDMI-DVI cable

You can use a HDMI-DVI cable to connect one of your newer devices to the SX20 in the same way as you could use the VGA-DVI cable with the older ones.

Note: you will still need to use the 3.5mm cable for the audio.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content