Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS 8.1 on Fusion

Oscar Jaime
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Anybody been able to install 8.1 on Fusion? I get error "System error: (std::exception)" when trying. Or is only supported on ESXi ?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes, ESXi is the only supported virtualization plaftorm for the VCS.

I think I red in the forum that some got it working on the desktop versions not sure about fusion.

That said you can run ESXi under fusion, but I would not recomend that, maybe just for testing

but not even for more serious labbing.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

Yes, I do have VCS X8.1 working in VMWare Player - hence my suggestion that you could give it a try   It's not likely to be a "supported" solution - but as a test environment, it's definately worth a shot.

VMVCS81.png

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes, ESXi is the only supported virtualization plaftorm for the VCS.

I think I red in the forum that some got it working on the desktop versions not sure about fusion.

That said you can run ESXi under fusion, but I would not recomend that, maybe just for testing

but not even for more serious labbing.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Thanks Martin.

Thx for setting the thread to answered.

Here some more information about requirements / deployments:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Virtualization_for_Cisco_TelePresence_Video_Communications_Server

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/config_guide/X8-1/Cisco-VCS-Virtual-Machine-Install-Guide-X8-1.pdf

ESXi under Fusion:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2009580

To get it running I had to use the vhv.enable = "TRUE" to do netsted VT.

To understand how the VCS works might be nice, to actually put traffic through or even use it

in production, NO!

Yes, the intended use is just for basic Lab testing. I didn't have any problems installing the 7.x versions directly on Fusion but I guess the requirements have changed. It's great to have this on your laptop and be able to bring it up any time you need to.

Thanks again for the great info

For a quick test on a laptop/PC, you can use the VMWare Player for X8.1.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Really? Do you have it working on Player? Any caveats?

Thanks

Yes, I do have VCS X8.1 working in VMWare Player - hence my suggestion that you could give it a try   It's not likely to be a "supported" solution - but as a test environment, it's definately worth a shot.

VMVCS81.png

Wayne
--

Wayne

Thans Wayne,

I guess it works on "real" Windows PCs only. It didn't work for me on a Win7 VM on Fusion (Mac).

Thanks