Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VCS behavior after loss of power

Is there a way to control how a VCS behaves after power is interrupted?  As in does it automatically restart or does it stay shut down?

The reason I ask is because I have a client in a 'fringe' area where power can occasionally be a bit unreliable, and they had an outage last week.  They have 3 VCS controls in the region (different clients), and a VCS Expressway.   The Expressway does not start back up after a loss in power, but the 3 Controls appear to restart after power resumes, and I'm wondering why they'd be different?

I know the VCS is an appliance, and I'm wondering if it's just a different setting in the BIOS, as it can be with any PC, and can it be changed?

I certainly don't know of any settings in the CLI that have to do with power resume settings.

(Yes, ideally they'd all be on UPS systems.)

Thanks.

Everyone's tags (1)
2 REPLIES
Bronze

Hi,Were all the VCS devices

Hi,

Were all the VCS devices purchased at the same time? if not this could explain why as it is possible there are minor hardware differences/settings under the lid if you have the traditional black 1RU single power supply VCS there is a monitor output and USB ports to access the BIOS. 

New VCS devices (CE500 & CE1000) are based upon the Cisco UCS C220 platform, had not had a chance to play with these exact ones but they would have a BIOS power up policy and also have an out of band management states future use but have not had a chance to use one of these yet to see if it is enabled.

Yes, all VCSes were bought at

Yes, all VCSes were bought at the same time, and all are non-UCS-based models.

I hoping there may be something under the hood that would allow access to these settings without accessing the BIOS directly (similar to the way UEFI-based boards are now).  Direct access to these boxes by someone with physical access and a vested interest in making these changes is problematic (politics).

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content