cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS being replaced

zdh
Level 1
Level 1

Is VCS replaced utterly by CUCM? Would anyone please give a documentation link as to how to complish VCS functions on CUCM? thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

The "VCS" hasn't been completely replaced by CUCM... while you can now SIP register endpoints directly to a Call Manager rather than to the VCS, a VCS will still be required for some of the older legacy endpoints.

The VCS-Control and VCS-Expressway products are still sort of present in a CUCM world - they're now called the Cisco Expressway Series.  They're effectively the same base software with a different licence.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

View solution in original post

Correct, it is the Cisco Expressway solution that is bundled with BE6000.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

"ACS" could mean many different things - can you please be a bit more specific?

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Sorry I mean "VCS", video cummunication server. I've corrected the spelling wrongs.

The "VCS" hasn't been completely replaced by CUCM... while you can now SIP register endpoints directly to a Call Manager rather than to the VCS, a VCS will still be required for some of the older legacy endpoints.

The VCS-Control and VCS-Expressway products are still sort of present in a CUCM world - they're now called the Cisco Expressway Series.  They're effectively the same base software with a different licence.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Thanks, Wayne. For the moment I got the idea of Cisco Expressway Series, I was wondering since it doesn't support end client's registration as VCS does, so what is it in the BE6000 bundle, which appears to have VCS-C and VCS-E virtual application ? I mean is it Cisco Expressway Series, or just VCS.However, since CUCM can do the same thing, it doen't make sense to have VCS here. So it must be Cisco Expressway. Am I right?

Correct, it is the Cisco Expressway solution that is bundled with BE6000.

One point here - you stated "CUCM can do the same thing" - that is not entirely correct, CUCM does not have the Expressway firewall traversal client piece that endpoints and VCS's have. If you put a VCS Expressway (or Expressway Series Edge server which is basically the same thing) in your DMZ, you will need a VCS-Control (Expressway Core) on the inside that will be making the traversal zone connection to the box in the DMZ and trunked internally to CUCM. CUCM was not designed to carry the media, the VCS was. So to your original question CUCM is not replacing VCS - they will work together.