Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VCS clusters and SRV records

We currently have 2 x VCS control that we wish to make into a cluster.  One is at our primary location and the other is at a remote backup site.  We want all endpoints to use the primary VCS when possible and only use the backup when the primary isn't availible.  This is due to higher latency and lower bandwidth at our backup site and the fact that we have plenty of capacity on our primary VCS and don't need to load share.

The VCS cluster creation and maintenance states:

"Option 1 – DNS SRV (preferred)

To use this option, there must be a DNS SRV record available for the DNS name of the Cisco VCS cluster that defines an equal weighting and priority for each cluster peer. "

From what I gather, this would distribute registrations between the VCS peers rather than using one VCS over the other.  If I give the primary VCS a better priority and weight, will this achieve my desired outcome of always using the primary VCS where possible?

One other question - as this is an existing set up that I wish to turn into a cluster, do I just need to point the endpoints to a DNS server and change the gatekeeper/SIP server entry to the new shared hostname rather than the single IP address that it's using at the moment?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gold

Hi Nick,

yes in the case where you want to force all registrations onto the preferred VCS, you should create the SRV records so that one VCS has a better (numeric lower) priority than the other.

Please note however that DNS SRV is not necessarily implemented identically in all types of endpoints/softclients from various vendors, meaning that while some respect both priority and weight, others might not, so I would suggest that you lab this before you implement it in a production environment. There are also endpoints which do not support DNS SRV at all, and for these you will most likely have to force the registration onto the preferred VCS.

When transitioning from the standalone VCS to the cluster, the only thing you should have to do is to change the H323 gatekeeper/SIP server address and point these to the new cluster FQDN for which you have created these SRV records.

Hope this helps,

Andreas

6 REPLIES
Gold

Hi Nick,

yes in the case where you want to force all registrations onto the preferred VCS, you should create the SRV records so that one VCS has a better (numeric lower) priority than the other.

Please note however that DNS SRV is not necessarily implemented identically in all types of endpoints/softclients from various vendors, meaning that while some respect both priority and weight, others might not, so I would suggest that you lab this before you implement it in a production environment. There are also endpoints which do not support DNS SRV at all, and for these you will most likely have to force the registration onto the preferred VCS.

When transitioning from the standalone VCS to the cluster, the only thing you should have to do is to change the H323 gatekeeper/SIP server address and point these to the new cluster FQDN for which you have created these SRV records.

Hope this helps,

Andreas

It does help very much - thanks.

We currently use E20s, C-series and EX90s.  Do these all support SRV?

Yes, shall work fine, but you want to run the latest software versions!

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Does the MSE 8710 Telepresence Server support DNS SRV - i.e. is there a way for it to failover to a secondary VCS (or Callmanager)?

I have a similar issue/question...

I want to use a single cluster name      VCS-Cluster.XXX.gov

I currently have the above name configured as a round robin with 2 A records

I'm adding a 3rd VCS to the cluster to make it a single cluster with three VCS-Controls.

VCSs are in Denver, NC and DC....

I want to have the west cost system register to the Denver VCS as first choice, then failover to the 2 east coast systems.

I want to have the east coast systems register to the North Carolina VCS as first choice

I want my DC area system to register to the DC VCS.....

The West coast has its own class B network    e.g. 111.46.x.x

The East coast has its own class B network    e.g. 111.47.x.x

The DC site has its own class B network       e.g. 222.80.x.x

Can I user standard SRV records to return differant results based on the subnet that the request comes from????

Thanks

Gold

Steven,

this can be achieved in multiple ways.

You could either have split DNS for these three sites, meaning you could deploy separate DNS servers in each site, replying with DNS responses which are tailored for each site, or you could use a DNS implementation which allows the DNS server to base its responses on the origin of the DNS request - for example using BIND's view clause, which is described here:

http://www.knowplace.org/pages/howtos/split_view_with_bind_9_howto.php

There may also be other DNS implementations which allows for similar functionality.

You could also create subdomains in DNS and tailor your SRV records that way, for instance creating the subdomains denver.xyz.gov, nc.xyz.gov, dc.xyz.gov, where the H323/SIP SRV records for the denver subdomain have one prioritized/weighted list with your preferred order, while the nc subdomain has a list where the order is different.

Once you have created these subdomains and associated SRV records, you could configure the west coast endpoints with a gatekeeper/sip proxy address of 'denver.xyz.gov' and these will then locate VCS's based on the SRV records for this subdomain and so forth.

Hope this helps,

Andreas

Views
Helpful
Replies