cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS-Control converts SIP call to H323 before sending it to VCS-Expressway

gavin han
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, as shown below. I'm making SIP call but my VCS-Control is converting that call to H323 before sending it to VCS-Expressway.

how to configure VCS-Control so that it can let H323 calls go as H323 and SIP calls go as SIP calls?

Call summary You are here: Status  Calls  Calls  Call summary

Call Information

State          Disconnected

Start time          2013-09-20 11:42:38

End time          2013-09-20 11:48:31

Duration          5 minutes 53 seconds

Bandwidth

Requested          1152 kbps

Allocated          1152 kbps

Route          abc -> abcToTraversalSZ -> TraversalSubZone -> Zone002ToTraversalSZ -> Traversal Client

Incoming call:

setup parameters

Source alias 1          sip:1231234@xyz.com (Url)

Target alias 1          sip:john.smith@wxy.net (Url)

Protocol          SIP

Address          10.10.10.10:5060

Transport          TCP

Encryption type          None

Reason          OK

Cause          200

Outgoing call:

setup parameters

Source alias 1          1231234@xyz.com (Url)

Target alias 1          john.smith@wxy.net (H323Id)

Protocol          H323

Address          192.168.1.1:2776

Encryption type          None

Cause          Normal, unspecified

8 Replies 8

Paulo Souza
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

What have you configured in Interworking setting on your VCSC? Can you check if your traversal zone has both protocols actived, SIP and H323?

Regards

Paulo Souza

Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Hi Paulo,

H.323 <-> SIP interworking mode  -  "on"    - > will I have to change this mode?

VCS-C traverse zone has both H.323 & SIP protocol active.

Hi,

You should use the interworking mode "Registered only", if you set it "on" you can have undesirable ineterworking behavior on VCS. Try to set it to "Registered only" just to see what you get.

Regards

Paulo Souza

Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

"Registered only" is the default setting - however, it will still act as H.323<-->SIP gateway since one of the end-points/clients in question is registered with the VCS-C.

The far-end end-point in this case has most probably been registered with the same address for both H.323 and SIP.

In my opinion, to force SIP only for this particular far-end, a neighbouring zone will have to be created on the VCS-E and H.323 turned off in this zone; or, if you want to get even more specific; a neighbouring zone to that specific end-point at that specific far-end site, with H.323 turned off in that zone.

That will allow both H.323 and SIP calls to that far-end, but only SIP calls to that particular far-end end-point.

Heh - I had the exact opposite problem where a far-end had a timer issue with SIP, so I had to force H.323 only.

You could always turn off interworking of course, or turn off H.323 all together, but then what do you do if you want to call a H.323 only site?

If there's no issues with the call when it's interworked then I wouldn't worry too much about it unless there are a specific issue/requirement for having this as SIP only.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

How did you force your calls to H323? I’m having the same issue you noted and need calls to go out my expressway over H323

VCS supports interworking, so if a SIP call is being made, and the called endpoint is H323, it will interwork the call between the two protocols. If the calling endpoint supports making H323 calls, you could set the default call protocol to that.
What are the calling and called systems registered to, and what is the call path between the two?

Alok Jaiswal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

please check for tranforms also , could be possible of that.

rgds

Alok

Also check your search history - see if your VCS-C is sending a SIP search first, getting a "Not found" or something, then trying H323 after the SIP search failed.