Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS Dialing features

sidris-sid
Level 1
Level 1

Hi expert,

I have concerns regarding VCS starter pack, I need to clarify if the following point can be support by VCS or not:

1-          VCS integration with CUCM :

Currently the integration is working fine but I need VC unit register to VCS to dial first (*) or (#) then CUCM extension, currently from CUCM its working fine, if it should work can someone provide me search rule which will allow call by * and #, I tried but it’s never working with me.

2-          Dial to VC over Internet:

I think to achieve this task I need only Public IP address for VCS then the VC unit will used the VCS as Gateway for outside calls…right? If my unit will use SIP while outside VC is H323 (Public unit not register to VCS) does still my VC will go through, you should consider that I have VCS starter pack and interworking between SIP – H323 is for register only?

3-          Allow internal Video conference calls:

I think to allow Video conference calls from internet to internal VC units just external caller need to call via VCS is there any specific ports I need to enable it on firewall in order to allow external call to reach via SIP (internal unit could be EX90 and Movi)

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Saeed

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Saeed!

Did you try the call with Movi/JabberVideo? At least there I saw this behavior as well.

Some background:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percent-encoding

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sip/current/msg16522.html

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986.txt

So if these old postings are still valid, movi is doing it correct, but the VCS does not seem to unescape

the escaped # in the URI.

Anyhow, as a workaround,  why don't you just add an additional regex search rule for (if I wollow your example)

%23(2\d+)@ in addition to (#)(2\d+)@

A replacement could be #\1@cucm or whatever you need to have.

Btw is there a reason why you put the # in ()? each () will generate to a numbered variable for the replacement. 

\1 = #

\2 = the number dialed starting with 2

Use the "check pattern" tool in the maintenance/tool section to check if your regex is giving you the right results.

I just tried such kind of %23 to # search rule and it worked fine for me.

Saeed: Please rate the answer using the stars below!

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

> 1- I have configured (\*) and its working as its explained above.

Good!!

> 2- I have configured the following search rule: (#)(2\d+)@  but still not working when I checked VCS logs

> I have noticed that when I dialed VC device sip:#29009@ its convert to sip:%2329009@

> so when # is modified to %23 , also I checked VCS transformation page and its fine.

I assume you have configure search rule as below.

===================================

Pattern Type: Regex

Pattern string: (#)(2\d+)@customer.com.*

Pattern behavior: Replace

Replace string: \2@customer.com

What SIP UA are you using for initiate the call (#29009@)?

I managed to reproduce what you are seeing by using C-series Endpoint which Endpoint converts # to %23 before sending out URL to VCS.

=================================================================

|INVITE sip:%2329009@customer.com SIP/2.0

Via: SIP/2.0/TCP 172.16.1.115:5060;branch=z9hG4bK67e8b870f634cbdfbdd307fd915e8898.1;received=172.16.1.115;rport=33924

Call-ID: 7d8ce4e425a57161@172.16.1.115

CSeq: 100 INVITE

Contact: <>705555@customer.com;gr=urn:uuid:91b67478-121e-56d7-811c-459f8a3b06aa>

To: <>%2329009@customer.com>

This is relate to ASCII-URL Encoding converting..

Unfortunately pattern check feature on VCS won't give correct response when you test with # (or even %23) as receive SIP to address is not starting with "#" this case.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Alok Jaiswal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Saeed,

going by one by one to your question.

Que 1.

you can have a search rule created in a fashion which will be a "REGEX" in form for e.g. (#)(\d+)@ then set the search rule to replace and use the one given here \2@ and target would be CUCM zone.

this will send the call to CUCM.

Que 2.

yes, thats right. You need a public ip on the VCS starter pack. Please note that in case if you are using a 1:1 NAT option then you need a dual nic option key to specify NAT on the VCS.

Que3.

You are right on 3rd point as well. to allow calls please check the below deployment guide for the firewall port usage.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/config_guide/Cisco_VCS_IP_Port_Usage_for_Firewall_Traversal_Deployment_Guide_X4_to_X7.pdf

Thanks

Alok

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

> Currently the integration is working fine but I need VC unit register to VCS to dial first

> (*) or (#) then CUCM extension, currently from CUCM its working fine, if it should work

> can someone provide me search rule which will allow call by * and #, I tried but it’s

> never working with me.

Adding comment what Alok reply on question 1.

The call string starting with # follow by one or more numeric number with sip domain works fine with (#)(\d+)@ as search rule with regex format.

However * is representing “0 or more repetitions of previous character or expression” for regex format, therefore need a bit careful how to write search rule with regex format.

To use * as call string, then need to add “\” front of * in regex string to identify “*” as actual character in call string.

Best fit search rule by using regex for matching both “#” and “*” follow by numeric number with sip domain is

[\*|#](\d+)@cisco.com.*

->  [a|b] : this regex mean a or b

->  \*     : this regex mean * (* as actual calling string charactor)

This single regex will handle call search for call string staring “* and “#” follow by one or more numeric number and sip domain.

Thanks Alok & Tomonori for the valid posts I have tested the above recommendations and here is my feedback:

1-          I have configured (\*) and its working as its explained above.

2-          I have configured the following search rule: (#)(2\d+)@  but still not working when I checked VCS logs I have noticed that when I dialed VC device sip:#29009@ its convert to sip:%2329009@ so when # is modified to %23 , also I checked VCS transformation page and its fine.

Any idea what is the reason behind such issue.

Regards,

Saeed IDris

Hi Saeed!

Did you try the call with Movi/JabberVideo? At least there I saw this behavior as well.

Some background:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percent-encoding

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sip/current/msg16522.html

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986.txt

So if these old postings are still valid, movi is doing it correct, but the VCS does not seem to unescape

the escaped # in the URI.

Anyhow, as a workaround,  why don't you just add an additional regex search rule for (if I wollow your example)

%23(2\d+)@ in addition to (#)(2\d+)@

A replacement could be #\1@cucm or whatever you need to have.

Btw is there a reason why you put the # in ()? each () will generate to a numbered variable for the replacement. 

\1 = #

\2 = the number dialed starting with 2

Use the "check pattern" tool in the maintenance/tool section to check if your regex is giving you the right results.

I just tried such kind of %23 to # search rule and it worked fine for me.

Saeed: Please rate the answer using the stars below!

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

> 1- I have configured (\*) and its working as its explained above.

Good!!

> 2- I have configured the following search rule: (#)(2\d+)@  but still not working when I checked VCS logs

> I have noticed that when I dialed VC device sip:#29009@ its convert to sip:%2329009@

> so when # is modified to %23 , also I checked VCS transformation page and its fine.

I assume you have configure search rule as below.

Pattern Type: Regex

Pattern string: (#)(2\d+)@customer.com.*

Pattern behavior: Replace

Replace string: \2@customer.com

What SIP UA are you using for initiate the call (#29009@)?

I managed to reproduce what you are seeing by using C-series Endpoint which Endpoint converts # to %23 before sending out URL to VCS.

|INVITE sip:%2329009@customer.com SIP/2.0

Via: SIP/2.0/TCP 172.16.1.115:5060;branch=z9hG4bK67e8b870f634cbdfbdd307fd915e8898.1;received=172.16.1.115;rport=33924

Call-ID: 7d8ce4e425a57161@172.16.1.115

Contact: <>705555@customer.com;gr=urn:uuid:91b67478-121e-56d7-811c-459f8a3b06aa>

This is relate to ASCII-URL Encoding converting..

Unfortunately pattern check feature on VCS won't give correct response when you test with # (or even %23) as receive SIP to address is not starting with "#" this case.

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is what Endpoint actually sending to VCS (# has already convert to %23)

=================================================================================================

Session Initiation Protocol

Request-Line: INVITE sip:%2329009@customer.com SIP/2.0

Method: INVITE

Request-URI: sip:%2329009@customer.com

Request-URI User Part: %2329009

Request-URI Host Part: customer.com

[Resent Packet: False]

Message Header

Via: SIP/2.0/TCP 172.16.1.115:5060;branch=z9hG4bK4993826f41e4e7bcef732befd40693df.1;rport

Transport: TCP

Sent-by Address: 172.16.1.115

Sent-by port: 5060

Branch: z9hG4bK4993826f41e4e7bcef732befd40693df.1

RPort: rport

Call-ID: 28a2171f67e374cd@172.16.1.115

Sequence Number: 100

Method: INVITE

Contact-URI: sip:705555@customer.com;gr=urn:uuid:91b67478-121e-56d7-811c-459f8a3b06aa

Contactt-URI User Part: 705555

Contact-URI Host Part: customer.com

Contact parameter: gr=urn:uuid:91b67478-121e-56d7-811c-459f8a3b06aa>

From: "CIBU.Tokyo.C40" <>705555@customer.com>;tag=e98a9d9fa4f3bf8f

SIP Display info: "CIBU.Tokyo.C40"

SIP from address: sip:705555@customer.com

SIP from address User Part: 705555

SIP from address Host Part: customer.com

SIP tag: e98a9d9fa4f3bf8f

SIP to address: sip:%2329009@customer.com

SIP to address User Part: %2329009

SIP to address Host Part: customer.com

Max-Forwards: 70

Route: <172.16.1.30>

Allow: INVITE,ACK,CANCEL,BYE,UPDATE,INFO,OPTIONS,REFER,NOTIFY

User-Agent: TANDBERG/516 (TC5.0.0.273156)

Supported: replaces,100rel,timer,gruu,path,outbound

Session-Expires: 1800

Content-Type: application/sdp

Content-Length: 2361

Message Body

Session Description Protocol

Session Description Protocol Version (v): 0

Owner/Creator, Session Id (o): tandberg 46 3 IN IP4 172.16.1.115

=================================================================================================

OK, Good news its working Thanks to you all and special Thanks to Martin & Tomonori I have tested and its working as expected.

One thing more I have some concerns and I hope if someone can assist me on those points:

1- Does VCS Starter pack version 7.0.1 integrate with Microsoft AD (if yes, for all TP video unit or just Movi)

2- Does VCS support to register MOVI from VPN?

3- Is there any documents which can help on deploy VCS Dial plan.” expression rules”

Look forward to hear from you very soon.

Regards,

Saeed

Hi Saeed,

thank you for voting and the feedback.

Regards your questions:

1) could you define a bit more how you interpret "integrate with MS AD"?

* automatic import of users: no, you would need TMS and a standard vcs and its probisioning for that

* manual vcs user account creation and match password towards AD: Maybe, at least it also has

the ad service under vcs configuration, authentication, devices ( https:///ntlm )

But in general I would recommend a non starter pack TMS&VCS setup.

2) In general yes. The VCS itself does not care where the packets come from, its just ip.

In some scenarios you will end up that media is beeing send directly to the ip of the vpn endpoint.

This might bring in some complications as well. Also depending on the deployment the dual

interface option might be needed.

Also the CPU load on the movi computer with the vpn software might be higher as its now double

encrypted.

Points 1/2 would be perfect to discuss with your Cisco TelePresence partner.

3)  The Cisco documentaiton is quite good. Just look at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11337/tsd_products_support_series_home.html

Especially the VCS Admin guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/admin_guide/Cisco_VCS_Administrator_Guide_X7-1.pdf

1- Does VCS Starter pack version 7.0.1 integrate with Microsoft AD (if yes, for all TP video unit or just Movi)

X7.1 release, VCS-E Starter Pack support AD integration both account authentication (user authentication) and device authentication (NTLM authentication for Movi/Jabber Video authentication).

2- Does VCS support to register MOVI from VPN?

Yes, it support in general as long as VCS reachable back to VPN client IP address range.

Please note, usually VPN client have separate MTU size specified by VPN router.

Please make sure you have reasonable MTU size.

3- Is there any documents which can help on deploy VCS Dial plan.” expression rules”

VCS Administrator Guide contain RegEx dial plan example.

I just upload document of simple regular expression explanation to https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-25084 as well for your reference.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: