cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS-E: calls to unknown IP address not happening for gateway device

John Shur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All - we have a VCS-E that has been working fine for most calls - however, have run into the following problem:

We are dialing an endpoint that’s behind a Polycom VBP - : 20614667@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx – it’s actually a bridge entrance “lobby”

If I dial that string from our MCU or Movi, it connects.

If I dial it from our Vidyo H.323 gateway, it fails.

The two searches are almost identical, except the first one (that works), says  the destination is a H.323id, then goes to “CallstoUnknownIPAddresses and finds it.

The one that fails, defines the destination as a Url, ends up in DNS zone, and gets a “Request Denied” – from what /who I don’t know.

Any ideas on why this is happening or how to make them both work the same? Our system needs to be able to work from either.

Both are being launched as H.323 calls to the exact same string : 20614667@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

I dial from the gateway a straight IP address - xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - it goes out as a Type:IPAddress  and actually goes to "calls to unknownIP address" search and connects fine.  Just the "URL" format screws it up....

23 Replies 23

Hi John,

i believe since the calls is generated from a neighour zone and that could be a reason VCS treatingit differently but not sure untill we see logs on VCS control and exp.

did you opened the TAC case? can you tell me the SR number

Rgds

Alok

Alok

In fact, the gateway is registered to VCS, just like the MCU. This is the most strange thing here.  =/

Please, if you take the case, post the result here when you find a solution, that would be nice.

Regards

Paulo Souza

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

The call is generated from the local default zone, not a neighbor zone. Same zone as the MCU is in (whose call to same destination works).

• Zone (1)
      • Name: DefaultSubZone
      • Type: Local

Hi Alok - I have not opened a TAC case because I just learned our maintenence contract expired in May!  It's thru a partner in any case so I'll have to open it with Viju when we get the PO cut.  Thanks for your help...I'll keep you updated.

Hi John,

i will give a try in my lab and see if i can replicate or not. i sent you a message can you check and reply.

Rgds

Alok

Hi All - just renewed maintenence & we will be upgrading SW soon. But, I have a serious need to dial two endpoints from this gateway using the 123@IPaddress format in the near future.

Can anyone think of a way I can fool the VCS-E to send these out rather than going off to DNS zone and getting "Request Denied"?

I can make specific search rule just for these addresses, but don't even know where to point them...Ideas?

Hi John,

In this case, as workaround, I think you can try to create a neighbor zone in VCS that points to the remote, then you create a search rule that matches that destination alias and send it through that neighbor zone.

When you create the neighbor zone, please, pay attention to the neighbor zone profile type, may you will have to try some different options, the right choice depends upon the kind of system you have on the remote side (gatekeeper, sip server, endpoint, gateway and so son).

Paulo Souza

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Thanks, Paulo - I tried that, didn't work - neighbor zone kept denying call.  BUT what did work, I created a pre-search transform that took any call in this format (alias@IPaddress) and pre-pends "sip:" in front of it - that effectifly turns the url into a h323id and the call gets routed to "callstoUnknownIP address" and woks fine - see search below:

• Search (474)
    • State: Completed
    • Found: True
    • Type: H323 (Setup)
    • CallRouted: True
    • CallSerial Number: 616c0a58-1170-11e3-8925-0010f321e6ee
    • Tag: 616c0bac-1170-11e3-a76b-0010f321e6ee
    • Source (1)
      • Authenticated: False
      • Aliases (1)
        • Alias (1)
          • Type: H323Id
          • Origin: Unknown
          • Value: OEGateway3
      • Zone (1)
        • Name: LocalZone
    • Destination (1)
      • Alias (1)
        • Type: Url
        • Value: 20614667@122.98.28.101
    • StartTime: 2013-08-30 08:33:32
    • Duration: 0.82
    • SubSearch (1)
      • Type: Transforms
      • Action: Transformed
      • ResultAlias (1)
        • Value: sip:20614667@122.98.28.101
      • SubSearch (1)
        • Type: Admin Policy
        • Action: Proxy
        • ResultAlias (1)
          • Value: sip:20614667@122.98.28.101
        • SubSearch (1)
          • Type: FindMe
          • Action: Proxy
          • ResultAlias (1)
          • SubSearch (1)
            • Type: Search Rules
            • CallsToUnknownIPAddresses (3)
              • Mode: Direct
              • Zone (1)
                • Name: DefaultZone
                • Type: Default
                • Protocol: H323
                • Found: True
                • Duration: 0.8
                • Gatekeeper (1)
                  • Address: 122.98.28.101:1720
                  • Alias (1)
            • SearchRule (1)
              • Name: LocalZoneMatch
              • Zone (1)
                • Protocol: H323
                • Found: False
                • Reason: Not Found
                • Duration: 0
                • Gatekeeper (1)
                  • Address: 10.20.7.7:0
                  • Alias (1)
              • Zone (2)
                • Protocol: SIP
                • Found: False
                • Reason: Not Found
                • Duration: 0
                • Gatekeeper (1)
                  • Address: 10.20.7.7:0
                  • Alias (1)

Hi John,

It is nice to see that your issue has been resolved!

However, I am really surprise with that strange behavior of VCS. It should not be necessary to add "sip:" in order to the call to be treated as "Call To Unknown IP Address", the call should be routed that way simply by dialling an IP address or SIP URI with an IP address in the domain portion.

Well, if you can, please, try to update your VCS just to see if something changes, because, as I stated, in my VCS 7.2.2, I have it working without any issue. I am really curious about this matter.

Thanks for your feed back.

Regards

Paulo Souza