Replies

VCS Expressay

Leonardo Santana
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello,

I have a few doubts about VCS:

1) VCS Control and Expressay can run on the Virtual Machine?2

2) When the VCS was running in a physical server he has two networks interfaces one inside the nework and other you can put on the DMZ? How can i do this on VMware?

Regards

Leonardo Santana

Regards
Leonardo Santana

*** Rate All Helpful Responses***
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

The virtual VCS comes as an OVA, it's a linux based, you can deploy on your own hardware hosting VMWare as long as you meet the spec requirements as noted at the link in my previous post.

The Control and Expressway share the same OVA file, so when you first install any VCS, be it a Control or Expressway, it'll start out as a Control.  What turns it into an Expressway is an "expressway" option key.  When you purchase a VCS Expressway, you'll get that option key.  There are separate part numbers for each type of VCS, the part numbers for the virtual server are: Control (R-VMVCS-CTRL-K9) and Expressway (R-VMVCS-EXPWY-K9).

View solution in original post

It's fine for the double posts, we all make them, I just made one.  :)

Yes, you'll need two VMs, one for Control and Expressway each.  Once you add the expressway option key to the Control (which all virtual VCS installs start as), it then becomes an Expressway.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

outlooker
Level 1
Level 1

Partrick answered your question well. I will give an example for the second question: suppose you are using PFSense as your VM firewall/router. 

"1. Rename your Virtual Machine Network to LAN by going to Networking, then on vSwitch0 click properties, click edit on the virtual machine network, then type LAN as the network label.
2. Create the WAN interface: Click add networking and use the virtual machine option. Click create a new virtual switch and name it WAN"

Refer to http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/20767-how-to-set-up-pfsense-in-vmware-esxi-5

You can build as many LAN as you wish, and designate a DMZ address for VCS-E and an internal LAN for VCS-C.

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
  1. VCS Control and Expressay can run on the Virtual Machine?
    • Yes, both VCS Control and Expressway are available either on a hardware appliance or specs based VM.
  2. When the VCS was running in a physical server he has two networks interfaces one inside the nework and other you can put on the DMZ? How can i do this on VMware?
    • The advanced networking option for the VCS Expressway on the hardware appliance was done with a paid option key, activating the 2nd network interface.  On the VM, you get that free as a part of the virtual server, when configuring the VM, there will be a list of 3 network interfaces, you'll configure only the first two to use the appropriate internal or external vLan for your network environment.

VCS-C and VCS-E can run on the same Virtual Machine?

When a install the VCS , he is the C or E, or he is both.

Follow the image of my VCS

Regards

Leonardo Santana

Regards
Leonardo Santana

The virtual VCS comes as an OVA, it's a linux based, you can deploy on your own hardware hosting VMWare as long as you meet the spec requirements as noted at the link in my previous post.

The Control and Expressway share the same OVA file, so when you first install any VCS, be it a Control or Expressway, it'll start out as a Control.  What turns it into an Expressway is an "expressway" option key.  When you purchase a VCS Expressway, you'll get that option key.  There are separate part numbers for each type of VCS, the part numbers for the virtual server are: Control (R-VMVCS-CTRL-K9) and Expressway (R-VMVCS-EXPWY-K9).

Ok,

But i need two virtual machines?

I have the license for Expressay, he will act as Expressay and Control?

Sorry for the many doubts!

Regards

Leonardo Santana

Regards
Leonardo Santana

It's fine for the double posts, we all make them, I just made one.  :)

Yes, you'll need two VMs, one for Control and Expressway each.  Once you add the expressway option key to the Control (which all virtual VCS installs start as), it then becomes an Expressway.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Leonardo Santana

Regards
Leonardo Santana

Welcome.  Anything else, or questions, hopefully you're not too confused.  Anything else comes up, just come to the forums and ask.

Leonardo -

Might want to go through and choose what reply(s) best helped you to answer your question, to help others behind you that might have the same questions.

Sorry I missed you had uploaded an imaged to your reply.

I presume you installed a virtual VCS, was it purchased, or did you just install the OVA?  The VCS software comes with a demo mode with a limited capacity of call licenses (non-traversal and traversal) as well as device registrations, that can be run without a release key which seems to be what you have there.  In order to get the full version and capability of the server, you'll need to purchase the VCS Control and Expressway, with an appropriate number of call licenses/options.  You can take a look at the VCS data sheet here for more info, basically you'll need to purchase the base VCS, either Control or Expressway, and then a number of call licenses depending on how many of the different types of calls you'd be making.  In short, non-traversal calls are calls that are of the same protocol (SIP-SIP, H323-H323), traversal calls are calls that are of different protocols (H323-SIP) or calls that traverse from the Control to the Expressway via the firewall.

If all you're doing is just testing, and you'd like to have a demo of the VCS Expressway, your Cisco Account Manager should be able to get you a timed demo expressway option key, which I believe will be limited to 90 days.