cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS Expressway Starterpack w Dual NIC Setup

Brandon Rebbe
Level 1
Level 1

I have aclient who purchased a VCS E starterpacka and we are going to use it for Movi clients and it will also have 3 C40 codecs registered to it.  I have set one of these up before but it was on the public network so it was a breeze.  I now have this box with dual nics and i tried a couple of setups today and had no luck. 

My plan was to use NIC 1 on the inside 192.168.1.5 and NIC 2 will be in a DMZ with NAT 192.168.1.6 natted to public IP.  When i set this up the first NIC stopped working and then i changed the gateway and it locked me out completly.  i have to go back tomorrow and use xcommand te get back in.

What is the best way to set this up?  I am not sure what happened today. Is it wrong to put both NICS in the same subnet?  This is really weird.  If you put a public IP on NIC 2 and a private IP on NIC one you have to use the gatweay for NIC 2 to get out and NIC1 never gets a gateway for its network.  I know becuase i tried this and i could get out to the internet but my NIC one could not go outside of its subnet becuase i could not put in a gateway for that NIC.  gateway says 127.0.0.1 on NIC 1.

What am i missing here I messed with this today for about 5 hours!!!  The deployment guide does not say anything about how to setuo the DUal NIC option either?

Need a little help here!            

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

> My plan was to use NIC 1 on the inside 192.168.1.5 and NIC 2 will be in a DMZ with NAT 192.168.1.6 natted to public IP. 

> When i set this up the first NIC stopped working and then i changed the gateway and it locked me out completly. 

Does 192.168.1.5 and 192.168.1.6 are on different subnet?

You can’t configure two Ethernet with same IP subnet.

Also make sure “External LAN interface” configure as “LAN2” based on your explanation.

View solution in original post

If you have single subnet (i.e 192.168.1.0/24) in DMZ, you may modify the subnet configuration on VCS to virtually split the network.

Assume default gateway is 192.168.1.1 and you would like to configure default gateway to public connection.

Also assume you want to keep using NIC 2 for public connection.

Then configure…,

• External LAN interface: NIC2
  • IPv4 gateway: 192.168.1.1
  • LAN 1 IPv4 address: 192.168.1.9
  • LAN 1 IPv4 subnet mask: 255.255.255.248
  • LAN 2 IPv4 address: 192.168.1.6
  • LAN 2 IPv4 subnet mask: 255.255.255.248
  • LAN 2IPv4 static NAT mode: On
  • LAN 2 IPv4 static NAT address:

You may use different IP address for LAN1 as long as not par to 192.168.1.0/29 range.

VCS will then treat LAN1 and LAN2 as different network connection even DMZ has single network address range.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

> My plan was to use NIC 1 on the inside 192.168.1.5 and NIC 2 will be in a DMZ with NAT 192.168.1.6 natted to public IP. 

> When i set this up the first NIC stopped working and then i changed the gateway and it locked me out completly. 

Does 192.168.1.5 and 192.168.1.6 are on different subnet?

You can’t configure two Ethernet with same IP subnet.

Also make sure “External LAN interface” configure as “LAN2” based on your explanation.

I just found a document that has answered all the questions i had.  This document explains dual NIC interface in Appendix 3 and also answers a bunch of other questions. 

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/articles/vcs_benefits_placing_expressway_dmz_not_public_internet_kb_196.shtml

This box includes a little bit of multiple products so you have to pull deployment guides from several places. 

If you have single subnet (i.e 192.168.1.0/24) in DMZ, you may modify the subnet configuration on VCS to virtually split the network.

Assume default gateway is 192.168.1.1 and you would like to configure default gateway to public connection.

Also assume you want to keep using NIC 2 for public connection.

Then configure…,

• External LAN interface: NIC2
  • IPv4 gateway: 192.168.1.1
  • LAN 1 IPv4 address: 192.168.1.9
  • LAN 1 IPv4 subnet mask: 255.255.255.248
  • LAN 2 IPv4 address: 192.168.1.6
  • LAN 2 IPv4 subnet mask: 255.255.255.248
  • LAN 2IPv4 static NAT mode: On
  • LAN 2 IPv4 static NAT address:

You may use different IP address for LAN1 as long as not par to 192.168.1.0/29 range.

VCS will then treat LAN1 and LAN2 as different network connection even DMZ has single network address range.

Got all this to work today after i gured out what static routes to put into the Lan1.  My client and i spent 4 hours trying to get all teh ports opened up and working in the DMZ then we finally said it was not worth it.  Once we got one piece working another stopped!!! 

WE put NIC 2 on the Public IP and everythign worked out great. 

System is integrated with CUCM for audio calls on conferences as well. 

Thansk for the replies.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: