Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VCS IP and routing

Hello,

my next stupid questions is :

image.png

1.Can i put the ip of the VCS to be 10.20.100.140 ?

2.When i try to use the web interface of the VCS and E20 it can't find them. Why?

I can go to the web interface of the ASA and the router, but can't log in because i don't have the username and password.

The default gateway of the router 192.168.100.1

It will be great if you can help me with this one. Thanks !

26 REPLIES

VCS IP and routing

I've tried to change the ip of the vcs but still no result...

VCS IP and routing

Hi Svetoslav,

its not a normal scneario to use NAT'in on VCS control.

What i can suggest is that you convert the VCS control to expressway bu putting the expressway  option key and then purchase "dual nic option key" which allows you to send/receive calls in a Nat'ed enviornment.

Rgds

Alok

Re: VCS IP and routing

As i said i don't understand that stuff but with your help i want to learn it. I have these option keyes

LIC-VCSE-100: 

LIC-VCS-GW: 

LIC-VCS-DEVPROV: 

LIC-VCS-10: 

Can you tell me what can these option keys be for?

Regards

Svetoslav

Another question is if i want to register E20(192.168.1.14) to the VCS how can i do it? Witch ip should i put in the settings to connect to ? Thanks

Bronze

if you enable Dual NIC option, then you register E20 in internal LAN via internal NIC of VCS and for external users you use external NIC of VCS.

EX90 (on external internet uses 10.x.x.x of VCS)----- 10.x.x.x (ext)VCS (192.x.x.x)------- E20 (on internal LAN uses 192.x.x.x of VCS)

regards, Ahmad

Bronze

LIC-VCSE-100:  This is Traversal  key

LIC-VCS-GW:  This is the Gateway key

LIC-VCS-DEVPROV:  This is Device provisioning key

LIC-VCS-10:  This is no traversal key

Either you need to get service pack key or Dual NIC key for VCS-expressway
in order to bridge between internal LAN and internet. if you NAT the IP addresses then
you need Dual NIC option key.
regards, Ahmad

VCS IP and routing

Hi Svetoslav,

As Alok recommended above, you can convert VCS Control to VCS Expressway.

Action plan:

- Obtain and install "Expressway" option key on VCS

- Obtain and install "Dual Network Interfaces" option key on VCS

- Enable "IPv4 static NAT mode" on VCSE network interface and define VCSE public IP address

- Configure static NAT on ASA5505 for VCSE public IP address

So, answering your last question, you should define VCSE public IP address, as SIP proxy, in E20 configuration.

For more information please check following document http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/config_guide/Cisco_VCS_Basic_Configuration_Control_with_Expressway_Deployment_Guide_X7-2.pdf

Best regards,

Sergey

VCS IP and routing

Hi Sergey

How obtain "expressway' option key for VCS ?

Can you provide part-number for this option?

Thanks

br Oleksandr

br Oleksandr
Bronze

VCS IP and routing

Hi Oleksandr,

you need to send an email to licensing@cisco.com with the serial number of your VCS.

if you have already purchased this feature, then you will be provided with the option key. otherwise you need to buy the feature from your channel manager.

regards, Ahmad

VCS IP and routing

Hi Ahmad

Can you provide Cisco GPL price for  "expressway option key" for existing VCS Control?

Can you provide part number for this option?

br Oleksandr

br Oleksandr
Bronze

VCS IP and routing

Hi Oleksandr,

The part number is

LIC-VCS-DI

Unfortunately I am not supposed to provide any price for any parts. Your channel manager can help you with that which pretty much depending on your contract type.

I hope this helped.

Best regards,

Ahmad

VCS IP and routing

Ahmad Sharifinejad wrote:

The part number is

LIC-VCS-DI

Ahmad,  I'm not sure that option LIC-VCS-DI provide Expressway option key and expressway functionality ...

br Oleksandr

br Oleksandr
Bronze

VCS IP and routing

Hi Oleksandr,

The part number LIC-VCS-DI is just enable Dual Interface on VCS (VCSC or VCSE) and it doesn't turn it to a expressway. I think you were asking for part number of Dual interface or I confused with some other cases sorry about that. (for expressway functionality the part number is LIC-VCSE-E ).

You can also enable Dual interface on the VCSC, I don't know why someone want to do that but it is possible although rare. One scenario could be having different VLANs connected to the same VCSC.

But I mentioned, if you get a VCS Starter pack option key, you turn your VCSC to a expressway with dual interface enabled. I hope this is clear.

Best regards, Ahmad

VCS IP and routing

Hi Oleksandr,

The part numbers and ordering information you can find in the following document, section "Ordering Information"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps7060/ps11305/ps11315/ps11337/data_sheet_c78-697073.pdf

Cisco TelePresence Video Communication Server Expressway (VCS Expressway Appliance)           CTI-VCS-EXPRESS-K9

Cisco TelePresence Video Communication Server Expressway (Virtualized Application)           R-VMVCS-EXPWY-K9

For price information, please contact your account manager or contact Cisco partner in your region.

You can use Partner Locator to obtain partners contact information

http://tools.cisco.com/WWChannels/LOCATR/openBasicSearch.do

Best regards,

Sergey Kuzmin

VCS IP and routing

Thanks for the answers friends , but is there another way to do the configuration... There were 2 cisco boys who made this configuration :

in two different towns and the RED video phone diled the other and the BLUE diled the RED, but the ips of the VCS,Video phone and the MCU were 10.20.100.x after that one dude messed up everything and now i must correct the things... So can you please tell me:

1.What is the role of the ASA - does the ASA only serve for security?

2.Is there another way to do the configuration without VCS Expressway?

Thanks!

VCS IP and routing

Hi Svetoslav,

The only solution, I see, is to configure VPN tunnel (IPsec, GRE) between ASA firewalls and configure routing between subnets 192.168.100.x, 10.1.1.x and E20 subnet. After that E20 will be able to register on VCS control.

Best regards,

Sergey Kuzmin

VCS IP and routing

I think that is the case... Today i've got the username and password of the ASA and i see there a VPN tunnel to the other town where the other Phones are... this is not very good because now if i want to connect a phone in another town i must connect with another tunnel . Is this so or am i wrong? And is there another way to connect to this tunnel if for example the other town don't have any ASA ? Thanks a lot !

Bronze

VCS IP and routing

Hi Svetoslav,

if you are serving another town then you need another ASA for VPN tunneling and as your network grows you would need more and more ASA firewalls. I think it would be more economical to go with non-scalable solution of VCS starter pack or a more scalable solution of VCSC + VCSE with the option of being able to deploy more endpoints in future (servering more endpoints in different towns).

Best regards, Ahmad

VCS IP and routing

Hi Svetoslav,

don't you have this small offices in each town reachable over a MPLS network to your hheadquartes where your VCS is kept?

Rgds

Alok

VCS IP and routing

Hi Svetoslav,

At the moment you have at least to solutions:

1. Buy and use VCS Expressway. You will be able to register endpoints from branch offices (other towns) on you VCSE or VCSC (using SIP proxy registration) and place calls outside your network.

2. Do not use VCS Expressway. You can implement DMVPN, so you can use Cisco routers as well to connect branch offices to head quarter. But, without VCSE, you may have issues with placing outbound calls.

I'd recommend to collect pros and cons for each solution, try to calculate approximate cost, taking into account further growth and scalability.

After that you will be able to make decision about solution.

Best regards,

Sergey Kuzmin

Bronze

VCS IP and routing

Hello Svetoslav,

1- ASA is a firewall and its role is to keep the bad guys out of your internal LAN. Looking at your diagram, ASA is a Firewall as well as NAT server.

2- if you dialing into Internet you need VCS-expressway. If you have NAT'ed addresses then you need Dual Interface option key. If you get Starter Pack option key, you get both of the option at the same time (it converts your VCSC to a VCSsp =VCSE with Dual Interface)

I hope this helps.

Best regards, Ahmad

VCS IP and routing

Hi Svetoslav,

check the below link for more details why the expressway is required and its usage in NAT'ed enviornment...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/config_guide/Cisco_VCS_Basic_Configuration_Cisco_VCS_Control_with_Cisco_VCS_Expressway_Deployment_Guide_X7-1.pdf

check appendix page 4.

Rgds

Alok

VCS IP and routing

Hello everyone and thanks for the help! I'm just wondering if there is no secon ASA in the other town is there a way to create a VPN tunnel between the ASA in my town and the other. Can a router Linksys WRT54GL help me somehow ? My colleges told me that it can connect to a VPN tunnel but i think this router can only pass the VPN tunnel...  Thanks

Bronze

VCS IP and routing

Hi Svetoslav,

There are many examples on the web including supportforums on how to setup a VPN tunnel between ASA 5505 and Linksys WRT54GL such as:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2011337

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VPN_%28the_easy_way%29_v24%2B

Have a look at these links and setup your VPN tunnel.

I hope this helps.

Best regards, Ahmad

VCS IP and routing

Hello i have installed dd-wrt software on the linksys router. Now in the VPN menu of the router i have

PPTP Client

OPENVPN client

i have created a tunnel in the ASA5505... but now how can i connect the router WRT54gl to that vpn tunnel i have created in the ASA?

Thanks!

VCS IP and routing

Hi Svetoslav,

you are posting this question in wrong comuunity.

please use "security as technology and post your question related to VPN configuration.

Rgds,

Alok

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content