Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS Release Key and option key

what is the difference between release key and option keys  on Cisco TelePresence Video Communication Server (VCS)?

Regards Akhilesh Nambiyath
9 Replies 9

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Release Keys are for installing and upgrading software to different versions. Example is if you're currently running X7.0 and you'd like to upgrade to X8.0, then that is a major version change and requires a release key to allow the software to be applied. However, if you're running X7.0 and you'd like to upgrade to X7.2.2, it doesn't require a release key, as that is a considered a minor release (also known as a dot release), where the software version you're running and wanting to go to are within the same major build number. Release keys require a valid support contract for the device you're trying to obtain one for, you can request release keys through the Cisco Licensing Portal.

Option Keys are for adding new functionality, beyond what the base device comes with. Example is if you wanted to install FindMe or additional call licenses to a VCS. To get option keys, you need to purchase the option you want through a vendor.

Note: release keys and options keys are something that you'll fine across all the TelePresence products, not just the VCS. 

Patrick wrote: To get option keys, you need to purchase the option you want through a vendor.

Just to confuse things - some Option Keys are zero cost items and these can also be requested directly through the TAC / Cisco Licencing Team.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

My vcs is in demonstration mode . So i can use that in demo mode for registration of movi client and for call purpose ? . I had updated option keys for traversal and non traversal calls . Yet don't updated  release key as well it is a new setup .kindly please clarify that . Am using 8.2.x version 

Regards Akhilesh Nambiyath

It's the "Release Key" you're missing then if the VCS is in Demonstration Mode.

A lot of functions will not work in demo mode, so you will need to install the Release Key to make it function correctly.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hello Guys, 

Where I find the release key to my VCS? I install the VM with version X8.7, but I don't know which is my release key.

If this is a new deployment, by default the VCS have no Release Key and it is in demo version.You will need a valid release key to activate your VCS.

You will be notified that your VCS have missing release key and need to activate it.

If you ordered a VCS licenses for this deployment, you should received a paper license that consist the Product Authorization Key (PAK) for your VCS and able to assign the PAK for the specific serial number of your VCS and be able to activate and install the option keys.

Here's the link: (You would need your Cisco login to use this tool)

https://tools.cisco.com/SWIFT/LicensingUI/Quickstart

You can also email Cisco licensing team "licensing@cisco.com " to request for the release key if need further assistance.

regards,

Acevirgil 

Hi guys

With the new vcs 8.8 release, I need to setup a single box ExpressC and One ExpressE creating an MRA environment.how do I get a demo license?

Thanks

R. AZ

Demo licenses are requested through your Account Manager and their team.

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

To put it really simply:

A "Release Key" enables the specific software release (ie X7.2.3 or X8.2.1) you have to work.

An "Option Key" enables a feature, and can be installed on any software release.

You must have a Release Key to have a working system, the Option Keys are optional and only required if you need to enable additional functionality.

Wayne
--

Wayne

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: