Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS, TMS Licenses

Jason H
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We currently getting errors on our VCS related to the TMS agent (in legacy mode, password, etc.). The solutions found to resolve this error seem to require additional features our TMS does not have. From our understanding, this seems to be activated by a Provisioning license. Our VCS have a Provisioning license, but do we also need one for our TMS?

Thank you in advance!

7 Replies 7

mayank.sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jason,

What is the exact errors you are getting on the VCS?

Also (on TMS) have you Enable TMS Agents found under Administrative Tools > General Settings is set to No by default. To enable the TMS Agent in the TMS, the administrator must set this to Yes.

Do you have a Movi/Provisioning Option Keys (on TMS)?

FYI: VCS Device Provisioning option key (On VCS Control is a No-charge option key for your VCS Control appliance.

Regards,

Mayank

Thank you for your response!

The current alarm is as follows:

The alarm description says, "The VCS is running in a legacy TMS Agent mode; you are recommended to switch your system to use a different mode."

And the action to take says, "Use TMS to configure the VCS's connection to the TMS Provisioning Extension services and to switch to Provisioning Extension mode."

I tried to find the Enable TMS Agents setting, but only managed to find a setting called Provisioning Mode (which is greyed out) that seemed somewhat relevant to the alarm.

We do not have a Provisioning Extension license on our TMS, however, and I believe this is the reason this setting is greyed out.

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

To fix the password errors, all you need to do is to SSH to your VCS, log in as root and run the following two commands:

tmsagent_ldap_passwd

tmsagent_replication_passwd

Both will prompt you to set new passwords - that gets rid of two of the three errors.

The other one, about being in "legacy mode" you can fix through the web interface of the VCS - here's where it is in my X7.2.3 VCS, the location and wording may be slightly.different on different versions:

System > TMS Provisioning Extension Services then click on the Switch to TMS Provisioning Extension mode button.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Thank you! I could change the default passwords.

We are also running X7.2.3, but the "Switch to TMS Provisioning Extension mode" button is disabled. Also to note, we don't have a TMS Provisioning Extension license.

The alarm description is: "The VCS is running in a legacy TMS Agent mode; you are recommended to switch your system to use a different mode."

and the action to take is: "Use TMS to configure the VCS's connection to the TMS Provisioning Extension services and to switch to Provisioning Extension mode."

However, since we do not have a Provisioning Extension license on our TMS, it is my understanding that the settings necessary to address this alarm are not available on our TMS.

You will get the same error with a FindMe option key installed - if you're not using FindMe, you can remove the option key, and the tms agent error will go away.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Its always better to check what features are used before telling to remove specific option keys.

Maybe it would be handy to let us know a bit more about your deployment and for example show us a screenshot of the license key types added to the VCS.

It sounds they do not use provisioning, so sure thats most likely ok to remove the provisioning option key on the VCS.

But if its findme, they might not use findme, but are in need of some source rewrite cpl (policy) scripts. (ok, also not very common on setups I have seen).

Its always worth looking into removing features that are not needed.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

I did say "if you're not using FindMe" before suggesting removing it.

With a new VM VCS, it comes with a FindMe key, and produces all those errors straight out of the box.  If you're not going to use the features, remove the keys, and the errors go away.

Wayne
--
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: