Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS video call Preservation?

Hi All,

Anyway to make Video endpoint can preserve (not drop) the call when VCS control fail?

Thanks!

Daniel

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That is not entirely correct. In fact, even if you set the call routing to optimal mode, VCS can handle the signalling in some situations. Take a look at this print from the admin guide x7.2:

VCS optimal mode.png

Do you see? For registered endpoints, for example, VCS will always handle the signaling. Therefore, I would say that there is not call preservation feature in VCS, not at all, even with optimal mode.

Regards

Paulo Souza

Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rejohn Cuares
Level 4
Level 4

I think you can. Under the VCS, change the call routed mode to optimal.

Optimal: if possible, the VCS will remove itself from the call  signaling path, which may mean the call does not consume a call license.

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.

Hi,

That is not call preservation feature exactly, what about a traversal call? VCS cannot be removed from the call path once it is acting as a gateway. And this is a very common situtation, when you are calling external endpoints or even internal endpoints with different protocols.

As far as I understand, call preservation feature must to be present on both components, the server and the client. According to release notes for TC endpoints version TC 6.2, call preservation feature is now supported, but only when the endpoints are registered to CUCM. Therefore, I would say that call preservation is not available when using VCS as call control server, only for CUCM.

Take a look at the release notes for TC 6.2:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/endpoint/software/tc6/release_notes/tc_software_release_notes_tc6.pdf

I hope this help.

Regards

Paulo Souza

Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Agree, there is no preservation on traversal calls . It is only applicable for calls within corporate network.

That is not entirely correct. In fact, even if you set the call routing to optimal mode, VCS can handle the signalling in some situations. Take a look at this print from the admin guide x7.2:

VCS optimal mode.png

Do you see? For registered endpoints, for example, VCS will always handle the signaling. Therefore, I would say that there is not call preservation feature in VCS, not at all, even with optimal mode.

Regards

Paulo Souza

Its not only traversal calls. Also when the endpoint is registered to a VCS the call

will not be released by that VCS.

So if that cluster peer fails the call would also die at one point.

In theory I could picture that using DNS records for the contact header and

having a statefull update of the calls in a cluster could solve it. But I would say

its not implemented by today and not sure how the future will look like.

Also the VCS-E might have challange's if devices are behind NAT, though SIP Outbound could help here as well.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: