cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS x8.1.1 upgrade, no media through traversal zone

rfrome
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I just upgraded my VCS C and E from x7.2.2 to x8.1.1. Everything appears to be working except I get no media when calling from the internet to a single video endpoint or into a conference on the TP Server. I've tried from Jabber as well as an EX90/ The port ranges show they remained the same after the upgrade, (Maint - tools - port usage). Has anyone run into issues with this new build of x8.1.1 that was posted on 4/10/2014?

thx,

rf

10 Replies 10

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Check the Release Notes again. There were port changes with x8.1 - especially for the media demux ports - you'll probably need to update your firewall rules between the C and E. Wayne -- Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.
Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne, thanks for the reply. If I am reading the release notes correctly, if you upgrade to x8.1.1 you're suppose to be able to keep using the original port ranges are you not?

New traversal media port framework
For new installations of X8.1 or later, the default range for traversal media ports is 36000 – 59999. The previous default range of 50000 - 54999 still applies to earlier releases that have upgraded to X8.1. The New features in X8.1
Cisco TelePresence Video Communication Server X8.1.1 Software Release Notes Page 3 of 27
larger range is required to support the improved scalability features.
The media demultiplexing ports on the VCS Expressway now use the first set of ports from the general range of traversal media ports instead of 2776 and 2777.
 l On existing systems that have been upgraded to X8.1, this will be 50000 and 50001 by default.
 l On new installations of X8.1, this will be 36000 and 36001 by default.
 l On large VM deployments, the first 12 ports in the traversal media port range are used (50000 - 50011 or 36000 - 36011 as appropriate).
This applies to all RTP/RTCP media, regardless of whether it is H.323 or SIP. Thus, the previously used 
Media demultiplexing RTP port and RTCP port settings (Configuration > Traversal > Ports) and 
associated xConfiguration Traversal Server CLI commands have been removed.
Administrators will need to adjust their firewall settings accordingly.

Hi,

I had the same issue during the upgrade from X7.2 -> X8.1. During the upgrade, NAT mode turned off.

if you use the NAT mode on the VCS Expressway, please make sure that NAT mode is on and have a Public routable IP Address.

Thanks

Chris

It's the Media Demux ports (2776 and 2777) that changed from X7.x to X8.x.  They're now the first 2 (or 12 in a large deployment) of the general range.  So you need to make sure that these ports are open inbound and outbound from both your VCS-C and VCS-E.  (See Table 5 in the Release Notes).

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hi,

change the firewall rules also but the same picture. No incomming video. The RTP/ RTCP  Ports are now on 36002-59999. I change also the Ephemeral port range from 40000-49999 to 30000-35999

What now??

Are we have a BUG??

Hi,

all registered endpoints on the VCS-C or VCS-E can call togehter. It does not work if we make a outgoing B2B call from the VCS-C or VCS-E to the Internet like oslo trafficcam. No Video is the issue. The Firewall settings is also OK, no drops ect..

Any ideas?

Is oslo trafficcam even operational these days?

Try Cisco TAC loopback site: loopback@rtp.ciscotac.net - another one to try is the CSIRO test site; 0262463194@csiro.au

Both work fine for me using x8.1.1 on both VCS-C and E.

./jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

Vernon Depee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Previously, VCS-C -> VCS-E used UDP 2776 & 2777. This has now been changed to be the first 2 (in large deployments up to the first 12) RTP ports.

This means that if you upgrade from X7 to X8 you need VCS-C (UDP 36,002-59,999) -> VCS-E (UDP 50,000-50,001) allowed in the firewall.

If you are in a newly deployed X8 environment you need VCS-C (UDP 36,002-59,999) -> VCS-E (UDP 36,000-36,001) allowed in the firewall.

From the release notes: http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/release_note/Cisco-VCS-Release-Note-X8-1-1.pdf

The media demultiplexing ports on the VCS Expressway now use the first set of ports from the general range of traversal media ports instead of 2776 and 2777.

On existing systems that have been upgraded to X8.1, this will be 50000 and 50001 by default.

On new installations of X8.1, this will be 36000 and 36001 by default.

On large VM deployments, the first 12 ports in the traversal media port range are used (50000 - 50011 or 36000 - 36011 as appropriate).
This applies to all RTP/RTCP media, regardless of whether it is H.323 or SIP. Thus, the previously used Media demultiplexing RTP port and RTCP port settings (Configuration > Traversal > Ports) and associated xConfiguration Traversal Server CLI commands have been removed.
Administrators will need to adjust their firewall settings accordingly.

Please also review Appendix 3 of the deployment guide for specific details on the source/destination ports: http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/config_guide/X8-1/Cisco-VCS-Basic-Configuration-Control-with-Expressway-Deployment-Guide-X8-1.pdf

Thanks,

Vernon Depee

Hello Any one,

I Have an issue with the VCS-E Starterpack, after the X8 upgrade, Jabber - Jabber calls from time to time don't have media.

Jabber to H323 end points is no problem.

We have the same tissue is on a second VCS-E Staterpack as well.

The firewall between the VCS-e and the Internet is not blocking any ports except 80, 443 and SSH

Any ideas any one?

Tanks

Bert

Hi Bert,

I suggest you open a new thread for your issue (if you're still experiencing it) as it'll get lost in the middle of this thread, and is on a slighly different topic.

In any case - this document may be of help: https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/94466/i-am-network-administrator-my-company-what-port-ranges-are-you-provisioning-cisco

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: