Views
Helpful
Replies

VCSc time always ahead of 15mins around

lianzhao
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

When NTP in starting status, the time reflect the correct time, but after synchronized, the time always 15mins ahead.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

On virtual VCSs the vmtoolsd synchronises the time with the VM host. The VCS NTP system also does this. If the host's time is not properly synchronised the 2 systems will fight causing the time to jump and NTP to eventually give up causing alarms to be raised etc.

There is a fix in X8 to stop vmtoolsd syncing the time, so just the VCS software will set the time, but I'll need to talk with the developers to see if anything can be done before that release to help systems in the field. Setting the NTP and time correctly on the VM Host should help though.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Tomonori Taniguchi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Do you see same result for time sync even you configure different NTP server on VCS?

How stable the reachability to each configured NTP server? (do you see number of “x” in reachability under NTP server status?

Can you post snapshot of Time configuration page including NTP server status and system time (in bottom of WebGUI section)?

see below for the picture you're asking for, btw, I found the vcs didn't sync with NTP, instead it's synced with the ESXi host machine, which I've logged in to the ESXi by vsphere client, checked the time, it looks the time also ahead of 15 mins.

Can you change extension of picture to other and post it again?

Seem you are trying to post picture with tiff format but I don’t see it on post…

HI, Guy

I think that's the explaination more sense for my experience on this, anyway, now I've set the correct time on the ESXi, so that the VCSc can get the correct time from ESXi, no matter how NTP runs....so far it's work, hope X8 will fix this, and get NTP back working.

I've just chatted with the developer - he said setting the time right on the ESXi host is the best fix, and then in X8 even if the time is wrong, we'll only get time from the VCS NTP settings and not try and also get it from the ESXi host via VM tools, so won't get in to this "argument" for the correct time setting.

On virtual VCSs the vmtoolsd synchronises the time with the VM host. The VCS NTP system also does this. If the host's time is not properly synchronised the 2 systems will fight causing the time to jump and NTP to eventually give up causing alarms to be raised etc.

There is a fix in X8 to stop vmtoolsd syncing the time, so just the VCS software will set the time, but I'll need to talk with the developers to see if anything can be done before that release to help systems in the field. Setting the NTP and time correctly on the VM Host should help though.

it should be fine, I can see the picture uploaded in my post by Safari.

yes, differernt NTP with same effect.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: