Views
Helpful
Replies

Video calls from Lync to Cisco and vice versa

Tibor Marchyn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we are analysing Lync Server 2013 and Cisco IM and Presence environments and I lack informations which are not in Microsoft Interoperability guide for VCS. I know that Lync uses different codec for video than Cisco. I want only 1 platform, not both, and mainy I want Cisco IMaP.

And my questions are if company choose Cisco:

1. Will we be able to make video call from Cisco Jabber/Telepresence units to external company Lync Server clients?

2. Will we be able to receive video call external company Lync Server client to our Cisco Jabber/Telepresence units?

And If management choose Lync:

1. Will we be able to receive video call from external company Cisco Jabber/Telepresence units to internal Lync Server clients?

2. Will we be able to make video call internal Lync Server client to others external company Cisco Jabber/Telepresence units?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

George Thomas
Level 10
Level 10

This is going to be tough since you need the MS interop license for calls between Lync and Cisco TP units. You will have to configure the VCS-C with the MS interop license but Cisco recommends a dedicated VCSC unit. Is it possible, i think so if you design it.

Please rate useful posts.

I know about that license and VCS Lync gateway. But from documentation "Deployment guide" I have understand that this license is only for INTERNAL inteoperability.

I need interoperability with External partners which are not registered in internal CUCM neither internal Lync.

I would prefer install only Cisco. So my question is really clear... If I have only Cisco Jabber with full infrastructure CUCM+CUP+VCS-C+VCS-E(with rich media session) will I be able to call partner which has only Lync Server+Lync Edge?

If yes, how? because deployment guide doesn't contain this scenario at all.

I used this guide - which contains ONLY scenarios where Lync is installed internally in company, neither in External Partner location:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/config_guide/X8-1/Cisco-VCS-Microsoft-Lync-Deployment-Guide-X8-1.pdf

Ya, i doubt it will work. Since Federated calls will use RTaudio but use H264 SVC for video however Cisco is betting on having this functionality with their CMR Cloud offering. I am guessing they will use the same infrastructure listed here.

Please rate useful posts.

I did read a rumor that MS will be looking to interoperate with "normal" SIP at some point in the future (next year?), but I have no idea how this will be implemented. I know that doesn't help you now, but as it stands, the CIsco deployment will not do what you are after without more kit.

Perhaps you could look at PEXIP (formaly Tandberg) or Acoan (interest page - http://lyncday.no/testimonial/acano/).

Scopia UCGW works well with lync2013. UCGW  works with iViewSuite, which can add a VCS as a neighboring gatekeeper.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: