Views
Helpful
Replies

Video Communications Server "Out of Call Resrouces"

kmartins5
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am working with Video Communications Server 8.1 and Lync 2013 trying to get them to work nicely together in a lab environment. In the demo mode, the number of traversal calls in the demo mode is set for one traversal call, one non-traversal call, and three registrations. When I make a call between both environments, in the system logs I can see my Tandberg user successfully finding my Lync user in a test call. I then see two follow-up error messages indicating that the "Resource unavailable - Out of Call Resources" and "Temporarily Unavailable."

It appears I have at least a portion of this setup correct (following Cisco setup guide for Tandberg and LYnc for VCS 8.1), but the demo license may be preventing a successful call from being established. Can anyone please verify what I am seeing and my assumption is correct as well as suggest where I can get a 30 day evaluation license or something similar that will let me use this environment?

Thank you all for viewing and any assistance you may be able to provide!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You haven't mentioned how you have your endpoint registered to your VCS - is it H.323 or SIP, or Dual Registered?

A VCS -> Lync call would use a traversal licence.  As this call is a SIP call, if your endpoint is a H.323 endpoint, you'd need another traversal licence for the H.323 -> SIP Interworking - so that'd be two traversal licences (and the demo only has one).

If you register your endpoint with SIP rather than H.323 to the VCS, this should remove the Interworking (and reduce the licences required by one) so you should be then able to make a call (although, without the "Microsoft Interoperability" licence, you may still not get things 100% working).

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

From what you describe it sounds like the amount of demo licenses are being maxed out, since it's running in demo mode with a limited amount.  On the VCS main page when you login, you should see an overview of the licenses, and when they last reached there peek usage, does it show they reached that maximum?  I don't have a Cisco-Lync deployment setup, so I'm not sure how many licenses it would require to make a call.

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You haven't mentioned how you have your endpoint registered to your VCS - is it H.323 or SIP, or Dual Registered?

A VCS -> Lync call would use a traversal licence.  As this call is a SIP call, if your endpoint is a H.323 endpoint, you'd need another traversal licence for the H.323 -> SIP Interworking - so that'd be two traversal licences (and the demo only has one).

If you register your endpoint with SIP rather than H.323 to the VCS, this should remove the Interworking (and reduce the licences required by one) so you should be then able to make a call (although, without the "Microsoft Interoperability" licence, you may still not get things 100% working).

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The license usage for the lync integration is a bit different than what was said here.

Please check out (p72ff)

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/config_guide/X8-2/Cisco-VCS-Microsoft-Lync-Deployment-Guide-X8-2.pdf

In the case of a h323 <-> lync call it would use one traversal + one local call, the sip <-> sip call would use two local calls which would not be present.

If you only have one VCS the one license is used for the B2BUA and the other one for the VCS part.

That said, the proper deployment in a bigger setup is to have to use a dedicated VCS (cluster) for the lync integration.

The other part is that the proper integration anyhow depends on findme and the microsoft interoperability (formerly known as

enhanced collaboration key) is required.

Please talk to your Cisco Rep. / Parter if/how you can get temporary / lab licenses

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: