cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the added value of installing the 30 vCPU vTS, as opposed to multiple 8 vCPU ones?

Nadav
Level 7
Level 7

Hi everyone,

vRAM and HDD space aside, it seems from the release notes that the 30 vCPU vTS can't support co-residency and allows for only 5 more screen licenses than the 8 vCPU vTS. 

The release notes can be found here: http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/ts/release_note/Cisco-TelePresence-Server-Software-Release-Notes-4-4-1-16.pdf

For a deployment which requires more than 10 screen licenses, it seems to make more sense to install multiple 8 vCPU vTSes on the same ESXi cluster. Yes it would take up a bit more RAM and a bit more HDD space, but you'd be able to utilize far more screen licenses across multiple hypervisors as opposed to a single server which can't be co-resident with other VMs.

Is this observation correct? Is there any particular reason why you'd prefer 30 vCPU unless vRAM wasn't a very stringent commodity? 

Thanks for your time :)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nadav,

As per my understanding even if you have more screen licenses, the number of vCPUs determines how many of them are active. That could be one of the reasons to go for the 30 vCPU vTS.

Manish

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nadav,

As per my understanding even if you have more screen licenses, the number of vCPUs determines how many of them are active. That could be one of the reasons to go for the 30 vCPU vTS.

Manish

I wasn't aware that vCPU count affects number of active SL's, good tip!

Jonathan Unger
Level 7
Level 7

Resource utilization aside, the first thought that comes to my mind would be if you would like to have fewer conferences with many participants. The 30vCPU is superior here because you would not have to cascade (better end user experience).

Additionally, it is fewer boxes to maintain/manage.

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There are a few other differences in terms to call capacity where two 8 Core/8 vCPU VMs are not equal to a single 16 Core/30 vCPU VM.

Have a look at table 4 in the link you provided near the bottom where multiple screen licences are required in a call - you end up with 1 less call on the multple 8s than you would with a 30.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: