cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

which H.323 client software to register to VCS

george.zhang
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, as Cisco Jabber video client need TMS to register to VCS but I only get VCSC and VCSE.

I want a software client which can be installed on my Windows Laptop and register to VCSC (h323 or SIP) for video test call.

would you please give me some suggestions? Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi George,

Yes, of course. X-Lite doesn't require any provisioning server to work, because you make the configuration in the client itself. Jabber for Telepresence requires a provisioning server (just like TMS) to work, because most configuration are provided by the server and cannot be configured in the client itself, but X-Lite is different.

You can register X-Lite to VCS without having to place any other infrastructure component. I have it working here just fine.

I hope this help.

Paulo Souza

Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Paulo Souza
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I have tested many SIP clients registered to VCS. Most of them I cannot recommend because they don't work fine. The only free client I would suggest you is X-Lite. This is a free SIP client for voice and video that is free and run on Windows and Linux. You can find it searching in Google.

One tip: When you make a call with X-Lite, sometimes the client makes the call using the SIP URI in the format 9999@domain.com:5060;tls... Something like that, so you will have to create a search rule that matches this destination, you can use something like this (.*)@domain.com.* with replace \1 or \1@domain.com.

Of course, I can't give guarantee that this client will work 100% ok, because it has some limitations, like another free clients. But for me it works well.

If you need a stable client with a good support from the vendor, I suggest you to go to Cisco Jabber for Telepresence.

Regards

Paulo Souza
Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Hi Paulo,

Thanks for your reply. Could X-lite register to and work with VCS without TMS?

George

Hi George,

Yes, of course. X-Lite doesn't require any provisioning server to work, because you make the configuration in the client itself. Jabber for Telepresence requires a provisioning server (just like TMS) to work, because most configuration are provided by the server and cannot be configured in the client itself, but X-Lite is different.

You can register X-Lite to VCS without having to place any other infrastructure component. I have it working here just fine.

I hope this help.

Paulo Souza

Thanks. Paulo

Just tested x-lite and It works. How to create a search route to let the x-lite to call a Internet SIP endpoint? Is there any test URI for video autoanswer.

Hi,

With regards search rules, you don't need special rules for X-lite to call external endpoints, you just need the common search rules described in the guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/config_guide/Cisco_VCS_Basic_Configuration_Control_with_Expressway_Deployment_Guide_X7-2.pdf

With regards addresses for test, take a look at this topic:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3635492#3635492

Regards

Paulo Souza

It helps a lot. Thanks.