Views
Helpful
Replies

why I would to purchase Telepresence if I have free tool

mohammed hashim
Level 1
Level 1

hi all

I am interested in video over IP for online meeting but I have one main question which is,

if there are free VoIP services like skype, then why I would to purchase cisco Telepresence system ?

thank you very much !

3 Replies 3

Chris Swinney
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Shako,

The traditional reasons why you would chose a Cisco solution (or other major manufacture for that reason) would be things like:

• Reliability
  • Quality
  • Security
  • Manageability

However, there needs to be a cost/benefit trade off in order to fully understand if such a paid solution with be of true value to you. At the end of the day, it depends on what you want to achieve, what type of users you have, you available budgets, current infrastructure, experience........ and on.

In my opinion, in some areas Cisco simply price themselves out of contention. Sure multinational global corporations will probably pay these costs, but even for other organisation (even those that are quite large), these cost might make people baulk at the prices. I work in the public sector (such as Higher Education and local government) and whilst we employ a lot of Cisco equipment (such as endpoints and VCS devices), other costs proposed by Cisco for things like Lync 2013 integration through the VCSs is simply preposterous to us (potentially £40-50k per organisation) and the organisation we manage. As such we will look at other solutions until Cisco figures this out.

The long and short of it is you get what you pay for - at least with regard to the endpoints. A videoconferencing solution always gives a much better experience for the users that something like Skype, Google Hangouts or GoToMyMeeting and the like. The is still an need for these applications, but they do not replace a traditional videoconferencing setup.

Chris

In addition to all the great resons Chris has indicated above - don't forget Interoperability - The Cisco TelePresence devices can talk to any other standards based H.323 or SIP endpoint (if configured correctly) - so you can talk to most other people's devices and equipment.  Skype is Skype, and only Skype (although there's moves to make this a little more open, ie talk to Microsoft Lync now that Skype's owned by Microsoft).

If you then want "free" software based endpoints, you can use Cisco Jabber Video for TelePresence or other proper Video COnferencing software endpoints to talk to your equipment as well.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate reponses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

I knew I was missing another 'ability' laugh. Thanks Weyne.

Something that might interest is a end-to-end cloud service from StarLeaf (from the people who brought us Codian). I have not tested their offerings as yet, but this is on the cards very soon. I kinda blurs the boundaries even further and whilst no free, might be cheaper than traditional videoconferencing systems, yet far better than web based conferencing.

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: