Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Why is the MCU automatically added to conferences in TMS?

Info:

Endpoints: Tandberg 95 MXP & 6000 MXP

TMS: 13.2.2

Codian 4510 MCU: Software ver. 4.4

Tandberg GK: N6.3

Tandberg BC: Q6.3

When I create a conference in TMS and want an endpoint to dial out of our system to an MCU at another site (neighbored), the our local MCU is added automatically to the conference for some reason.  For example, if I create a conference with Room 123 and an external "Dial Out" number 2222222, TMS adds our system's MCU and forces it to dial out to both Room 123 and 2222222, which is totally unecessary.  This should simply be, as far as the endpoint is concerned, a direct dial to 2222222.  Why is the MCU being automaticallly added?  This will use up MCU licenses in a hurry when it isn't necessary at all.

I've gone through TMS>Administrative Tools>Configuration>General Settings, Network Settings, and Conference Settings and can't figure out why the MCU is being added.  If we manually dial out, there's no issue.  My goal is to automate all of the dialing, though.

Any pointers?  I've put some of the settings from TMS>Admin Tools>Configuration>Conference Settings below.

TMS Conf Settings.jpg

Luke

Everyone's tags (5)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: Why is the MCU automatically added to conferences in TMS?

Hi,

Does lowering the conference bandwidth help? TMS could add an MCU if it detects that one or more participants do not support the conference bandwidth.

Regards,

Kjetil

13 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Does lowering the conference bandwidth help? TMS could add an MCU if it detects that one or more participants do not support the conference bandwidth.

Regards,

Kjetil

Thanks for the suggestion! 

I dropped the bandwidth down to 768kbps, removed the MCU from the list of participants, and then clicked on "connection settings" to verify things were as they should be.  The MCU popped into the list again.

Cisco Employee

Did you try that for a conference that already had been saved? If so, TMS won't remove the MCU from the route, as TMS has no way of knowing if it was added explicitly by the user or not.

Did you try the same for a brand new conference, i.e.:

1. Go to New Conference
  2. Set the bandwidth to 768kbps
  3. Add the endpoint and the external dial-out
  4. Click Connection Settings (for the first time)

-Kjetil

Kjetil,

It still does the same thing - the MCU is added.

I figured it out!  I need to lower the conference bandwidth.  I had tried simply changing this already, but figured out the process to change conferences that are already scheduled:

1. Delete the MCU from the list of participants
  2. Downspeed the IP Bandwidth to a speed the endpoint can handle
  3. Click on the "Connection Settings" tab in the bottom pane.
  4. The MCU is still added, HOWEVER, it will be removed by selecting the endpoint making the call in the "Select as Main" dropdown menu. 
  5. The settings should now show that the endpoint will dial out to the specified number, and the MCU will not be added in.

Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction!

Cisco Employee

Curious. For the scheduling options that are checked for the system you are telling to dial, are the options it supports checked? Go to the system in navigator, Settings>View Settings all the way at the bottom?  Is the method at which you telling it to call, checked there?

VR

Patrick

The settings are the same for all endepoints: YES

VIP Purple

Would changing the preferred MCU type in routing to "always, except point to point" help?

That doesn't work either

I've tried setting it to "Only if needed" and "Always, except point-to-point"

Doesn't change anything.

Hi,

When you schedule the conference, what is the protocol selected for the dial-out participant? Are you sure that your endpoint that will dial-out is proper registered using this protocol? Do you see it as "registered" when checking the endpoint into the "System >> Navigator"?

Regards

Paulo Souza

Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Paulo, the problem was posted as solved about an hour before your post

The problem was bandwidth, not with protocol or registration.

Cisco Employee

By the way:

We hope to change the behavior in a future release, see CSCtr91647.

-Kjetil

I'm glad a more obvious solution is being investigated.  Honestly, a pop-up warning "An MCU will be added because of bandwidth limitations.  To avoid this, lower the conference bandwidth"  (or somethiing to that effect) would be very helpful.

I noticed that 13.2.2 (the software version that I'm running) is not included in the list of releases affected by this.  Should it be added?  Or is 13.2.2 assumed to be affected because 13.1 is listed?

Views
Helpful
Replies