Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Tidal 6.2.1, Client Manager and Fault Monitor

Hi all,

We are in the process of updating from 5.3.1 and I have a few questions, maybe someone can help.

1. If we plan on using only the java client and never the web client, do we still need the Client Manager server?  From the schematics I've seen the java client connects directly to the master, so we shouldn't need the client manager.
  2. About the update itself, if I need my master database to be converted from 5.3.1 to 6.2.  Can I install the tidal master 6.2 on a new server and connect that server to the database?  will it convert the database?  or does the database conversion happen only when you update your master from 5.3.1 to 6.2?
  3. About the fault monitor, does the validation between the fault monitor and the primary master work both ways?  For exemple, I have my Primary Master (PM) in site 1 and the Fault Monitor (FM)  and the BackUp Master (BM) in site 2.  If the network link between site 1 and 2 fails, the FM won't be able to contact the PM, so the FM will activate the BM.  But in site 1 the PM is still functional, will it know that it should stop working because it cannot contact the FM, or will we end up with both masters running at the same time?

Thanks!

FG

2 Replies 2

Derrick Au
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Francois,

All very good questions.

1) You will need the Client Manager for the following services: Web Services, Transporter, and Command Line

2) The database conversion occurs during the 6.2 installation. So, whether you are setting up a test or production environment, always perform a backup of the database and work off the copy

3) In fault tolerant mode, at least 2 out of the 3 components must be communicating with each other. If PM fails, FM will detect that it has lost connection with PM and then will try to connect to FM, and vice versa. In the event of a network outage, where Site 1 falls off the grid. PM may continue to run for some time until all pending threads have processed, or it may simply shut down automatically as part of its safety mechanism. In fault tolerant mode, the PM cannot run by itself the other components must be present.

If I left any points out, please feel free to add or correct.

HTH,

Derrick Au

Thank you very much for your help.

Really appreciated.

FG