Views
Helpful
Replies

CUC 8.6.2 upgrade

hzarringhalam
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am going to upgrade CUC 7.1.3 and CUCM 7.1.5 to 10.0.

How can I get the bootable install file for CUC  8.6.2 and is CUC 8.6.2 compatible with CUCM 7.1.5.

Regarding CUC, my plan is to upgrade CUC to 8.6.2 on MCS. It means that I will have CUCM 7.1.5 and CUC 8.6.2.

Then I will do a fresh install of CUC 8.6.2 on VM and restore 8.6.2 from MCS to VM and upgrade it CUC to 10.

I placed CUC upgrade order through PUT and got the upgrade file but not the install file for CUC 8.6.2. I need bootable install file for my fresh install on VM.

Please let mw know if you have a heads up for me about this upgrade ....I did not mention that I am going to upgrade CUCM 7.1.5 to 10 through PCD (Prime Collaboration Deployment).

Thank you,

Hamid

15 Replies 15

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Hamid,

unity connection 7.x and later is compatible with CUCM with 5.x till 10.x

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/compatibility/matrix/cucsccpmtx.html

you can make a bootable by referring the link

http://htluo.blogspot.in/2010/04/how-to-make-non-bootable-iso-image.html

you can refer the video on PCD

https://supportforums.cisco.com/video/12116751/prime-collaboration-deployment-concept

regds,

aman

Hello Aman,

Thank you so much for the information.

If you have used PCD, I would like to ask you some questions regarding to that.

How long does it take to upgrade a cluster with 2 nodes (1xPub and 1xSub) from 7.1.5 to 10.0 ?

What will be the down time?

The current CUCM is on MCS, Can I use the older version on MCS...just in case?

Regards,

Hamid

Hi Hamid,

I did not get chance to use PCD.

we have done migration from CUCM 7.1.5 to 9.x for about 1500 IP phones and takes about 6-7 hours.

Did not understand your query for MCS?

regds,

aman

Hi Aman,

Thank you for your reply.

Regarding my MCS question,  after the upgrade to 10.x on VM, if something happen...just from disaster recovery point of view , can I go back to 7.1.5 on MCS?

Regards,

Hamid

Hi Hamid,

What I have understood that u are building a parallel cluster of CUCM 10 on VM  in addition to existing CUCM 7 cluster on MCS?

If that is the case, you can do rollback.

After the CUCM 10 is build, you can try registering 4-5 IP phones by pointing their tftp to CUCM 10.If that works , then, you can change the tftp IP in DHCP server or static tftp IP [if configured] in IP phones to point to CUCM 10.

regds,

aman

I am going to use the same IP addresses for CUCM on VM. It will not be a parallel cluster with different IP, TFTP...

In this scenario, I believe after upgrading to 10.x, the phones will be registered to CUCM 10.0 on VM and the firmware will be upgraded. So I think I cannot count on CUCM 7.1.5 on MCS anymore as a Disaster Recovery, right?

Regards,

Hamid

Hi Hamid,

What I suggest that in DHCP server , you can change the IP address of tftp other than existing CUCM IP address?

Now, in 3-4 IP phones, u can assign static IP address along with tftp IP address of CUCM 10 for testing .

regds,

aman

Hello Aman,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Current phones has the IP address of the CUCM already,and after I change the IP address of the TFTP under DHCP scope, the phones may still be able to see the TFTP,  right? or I need to do the change on DHCP side and restart the phones before starting the upgrade, are you agree?

Regards,

Hamid

Hi Hamid

In existing DHCP server, u enter the dummy IP address  for tftp.You can restart tftp service on CUCM 7.

After this, u enter manually tftp IP address of CUCM 10 in 3-4 IP phones and register them to CUCM 10 and check.

regds,

aman

Hello Aman,

Thank you for the information.

Have you tried installing Unity Connection 7.1.3 on VM? is it supported?

Regards,

Hamid

Hi Hamid,

It is not supported.You would be requiring MCS platform.

Unity connection is supported on VM from 8.0(2)+

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Virtualization_for_Cisco_Unity_Connection

regds,

aman

Hi Hamid,

What the page 16 says that customer has server which does not support 8.x but supports 7.1(3) and the customer final requirement is for Unity connection 8.0(2)?

so, what u can do is install 7.1(3) on physical server first , take backup. Now install 7.1(3) on VM and restore the backup. Finally , upgrade from 7.1(3) to 8.0(2) on VM.

At last , it says that for Cisco TAC to support , 8.0(2) should be on VM , not 7.1(3).

regds,

aman

Hello Aman,

I checked with Cisco and TAC is told me that with one CUC in production I just need to remove last four HD from the MCS 7845-H2 and CUC will be capable to be upgraded to 8.6.2 on the MCS. He said I do not even need to upgrade RAM from 4 to 6 G.

I am thinking to check COBRAS ability for the upgrade from 7.1.3 on MCS to 8.6.2 on VM too.

Regards,

Hamid

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: