Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration from CallManager 8.5.1 to CallManager 10.5

shaikh ibrahim
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts ;

I have one query i.e we are doing upgrade from CM 8.5.1 to CM 10.5 also migrated from MCS to VM . My question is that,

what is the best way to do this migration either manually or  Automated ( through PCD . )

Note : my plan is to used new ip address for CM 10.5.

Regards;

Shib

26 Replies 26

There is no general consensus on this, we even found it changes across documentation depending on the version in other thread.

Some people do it before, some after. My personal preference is to adjust vCPU, vRAM and HDDs as required, BEFORE the upgrade to avoid any HW validation errors, this only if required, and change the OS AFTER the upgrade.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Will try that and give you an update. Again, thank you.

-Randy

Hi ,

I suggest buying compatible license of VMware 

Virtualization Software License Types
Cisco Prime Collaboration Deployment is not compatible with all license types of VMware vSphere ESXi,
as some of these licenses do not enable required VMware APIs.
The following are compatible with Cisco Prime Collaboration Deployment:
• Cisco UC Virtualization Foundation (appears as “Foundation Edition” in vSphere Client)
• VMware vSphere Standard Edition, Enterprise Edition, or Enterprise Plus Edition
• Evaluation mode license
The following are NOT compatible with Cisco Prime Collaboration Deployment:
• Cisco UC Virtualization Hypervisor (appears as “Hypervisor Edition” in vSphere Client)
• VMware vSphere Hypervisor Edition

Else u follow the guide 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/matrix/10_x/CUCM_BK_CD1DB914_00_compat_matrix.pdf

and later on change IP address after successfuil migration to CUCM 10

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/10_0_1/ipchange/CUCM_BK_C3782AAB_00_change-ipaddress-hostname-100/CUCM_BK_C3782AAB_00_change-ipaddress-hostname-100_chapter_011.html

regds,

aman

Hi Aman,

Is it really possible to upgrade to 10.5 from CUCM 8.6 with IP address change using PCD?

is it Cisco recommended?

I have a same type of project in pipeline please share.

Regards,

Rakesh

Hi Rakesh,

when u are using PCD, u would get the option under Migration Destination Cluster ---Configure Destination Cluster----Destination Node--Network[Enter New Network Settings or Use Source Node Network Settings ].

It is at this point u can decide if u want to have new IPs .

regds,

aman

Thank you so much Aman for prompt response.

I need to migrate a super cluster from CUCM 8.6(MCS) to you 10.5 (UCS). We have to change the IP address of new VM cluster because of site movement. Here what I am planning

1. Fresh install CUCM 10.5 /PCD on VM

2. Follow the PCD guide to discover the existing CUCM 8.6 cluster

3. Change the IP address while configuring new destination cluster (however not sure about this step)?

4. Perform the migration.

Could IP address change cause any issue during migration in the above step?

Did you or any one had tried this method?

Thank you in advance.

Hi Rakesh,

we did the migration from CUCM 7 [MCS] to CUCM10 [UCS] through PCD.

we had issues while discovering node in a cluster[getting stuck], time zone and application user password but did not impact existing CUCM 7 cluster.The issues were also sorted.

once discovered, everything was smooth.

regds,

aman

Wow, thats great Aman. Last query, was there IP address change of existing cluster also while migrating to 10.5?

that would remain intact.

nothing would impact on existing CUCM cluster.

regds,

aman

Hi Aman,

Thank you again and Sorry buddy, just want to clarify again b, I have to change the IP address of existing cluster while migrating to CUCM 10.5 using PCD.

Will changing the IP address during migration impact functionality or migration process?

Hi Rakesh,

The existing cluster would keep on working if u opt to change for new IP address for new CUCM 10 cluster.

once the upgrade is done,manually change tftp of 4-5 IP phones to point to new CUCM10 and register them.Check the full functionality and then, change in DHCP [if using] to new tftp.

regds,

aman

Thank you Aman.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: