Views
Helpful
Replies

Questions about changing IP addresses of CUCM Pub / Sub

lisacoody
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have two physical CUCM servers (MCS 7825H3 - running version 8.0(3)) that are end of support. I'm preparing to migrate them to virtual servers and have a few questions.

• I've already installed publisher and subscriber servers on VMs with a different IP addresses in the same subnet as the existing servers. No data has been restored yet - they're just "empty" servers with the same name, NTP server, usernames and passwords as the existing servers (only the IP addresses are different). My existing Publisher is 10.100.11.11 and the existing Subscriber is 10.100.11.12; the new Publisher is 10.100.11.13 and the new Subscriber is 10.100.11.14. When it comes time to actually make the switch, can I simply take the existing servers offline, change the IP addresses of the new servers, and restore the DRS backup?

• Do I need to take and restore DRS backups on both Pub and Sub? I was told by Cisco TAC that only the Publisher needs to be restored, but I've read other places that the Subscriber should be restored also for TFTP and MOH. I'm confused.

• I was comparing the information in the existing and new installations and noticed that on the new servers, the server names are listed under System > Server rather than IP addresses like on the existing servers. I changed the information to IP addresses and changed the Phone URL Parameters from server name to IP address so everything matches (except the actual IP address, of course). If the answer to my first question is yes, and I can simply change IP addresses of the new servers, will the Phone URL Parameters need to be updated manually or will the information be updated when the servers reboot because of the IP address change?

• If the Phone URL Parameters information is incorrect, will that affect administrative connectivity to the servers? In my mind, the only thing that will happen is the phones will not be able to register until the URL has the correct IP address.

• I understand that this must be done during a maintenance window. Am I over-thinking this? The whole idea behind already having servers stood up was to save time during a maintenance window and get as much done as I can during business hours.

Thanks in advance!

Lisa

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

PCD is a great tool for these migration scenarios. However, concerning your initial questions, DRS restore would work if the IP addr / hostname / security password / dns / ntp details are matching in the DRS backup, and ofcourse the cucm version needs to be an exact match. DRS backup is recommended from all servers in the cluster to backup custom moh and other tftp files which are not replicated from the Publisher, although the Publisher is the master database. IP address information under System > Servers and in the Phone URL parameters needs to be updated manually.

HTH

Manish

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

lisacoody
Level 1
Level 1

I just watched this PCD video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzG4kz1_hL4 and am rethinking the whole approach to my migration and upgrade problem.

What a beautiful tool!

PCD is a great tool for these migration scenarios. However, concerning your initial questions, DRS restore would work if the IP addr / hostname / security password / dns / ntp details are matching in the DRS backup, and ofcourse the cucm version needs to be an exact match. DRS backup is recommended from all servers in the cluster to backup custom moh and other tftp files which are not replicated from the Publisher, although the Publisher is the master database. IP address information under System > Servers and in the Phone URL parameters needs to be updated manually.

HTH

Manish

Thank you very much, Manish, for taking the time to answer my question. Your answer was exactly what I was hoping to find.

After reading more about PCD, I'm not nearly as worried about the upgrade / migration process as I was before. I do have a few areas of concern, though, because using PCD would bring our system to version 10.x. I have some 7911, 7937 phones, 7914 expansion modules, and VG224's that I'm not sure sure are supported in 10.5(1). Does anyone know if these items will work if I move to version 10.5(1)?

Thanks again, Manish!

Hi, 

while configuring Destination Cluster in PCD , you would get the option of NETWORK followed by Drop Down option : Use Source Node Network Settings or Enter New NEtwork Settings.

Also, u would get option of NTP/SMTP Settings .

For endpoint support , u can refer the link

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/unified/communications/system/versions/IPTMtrix.html

regds,

aman

Thank you, Aman.

I've been told conflicting information regarding the end-points that are supported in 10.5(1). I was hoping to hear from someone who has already done the upgrade and has some of the equipment I am using for a definitive answer.