cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unified Communication Server 9.x licensing

rehan_uet
Level 1
Level 1

In the DCT when i go for the licensing of UCM 9.x and select the package "UCL-UCM-LIC-K9" then in config option i only get the options to select the user licenses, there is no option of Node licenses as we had with previous versions, has this licensing (Node licensing) not required any more in 9.x or I have to search it some other place in the DCT.

8 Replies 8

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Rehan,

You are most correct. Node licenses are no longer needed

Release 9.x licensing differences

• Cisco  Unified Communications Manager Release 9.x licenses and license  enforcement is completely user-based, matching how licenses are ordered.  Customers no longer order user-based licenses and receive DLU-based  licenses to upload to the customer Cisco Unified Communications Manager  publisher.
  • There  is no mechanism to upload DLU-based licenses to a Cisco Unified  Communications Manager Release 9.x publisher. Cisco Unified  Communications Manager Release 9.x licenses must be applied to an  Enterprise License Manager server, which only accepts the new user-based  licenses.
  • Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 9.x licensing no longer includes or requires any node or software release licenses.
  • Cisco  Unified Communications Manager 9.x clusters can operate in a full  featured demo mode for 60 days without a license. After 60 days, Cisco  Unified Communications Manager clusters continue to operate and route  calls, but the functionality to add or remove devices and users is  disabled until valid licenses are supplied by an associated Enterprise  License Manager.
  • Cisco  Unified Communications Manager Release 9.x licenses are tied to the  identity of the Enterprise License Manager server, rather than to the  publisher MAC address or licensing MAC.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/elmuserguide/9_1_1/license_migration/CUCM_BK_CBF8B56A_00_cucm-license-upgrade-guide_chapter_00.html

Cheers!

Rob

"go easy...step lightly...stay free " 

- The Clash

Is it must to have a separate Enterprise License Manager to upload the licenses or we can directly upload the licenses to the Unified Communication Managers without having Enterprise License Manager.

Hi Rehan,

When you move to CUCM 9.x ELM is a "must" but keep in mind that it

can be built co-resident on the CUCM box

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/elmuserguide/9_1_1/license_migration/CUCM_BK_CBF8B56A_00_cucm-license-upgrade-guide_chapter_01.html#CUCM_RF_E6F48698_00

Cheers!

Rob

- The Clash

as per your referred doc

The Enterprise License Manager application is  installed coresident, by default, on any Cisco Unified Communications  Manager or Cisco Unity Connection nodes that are upgraded (or fresh  installed) to Release 9.x.

Does it mean that there is no additional cost when it is installed coresident by default or we need to purchase a separate license (in addition to UCM user based licenses) to activate the ELM application.

Hi Rehan,

In addition to info provided by Mr. Rob(+5), there won't be any cost for ELM if u install/co-resident on same MAchine on which CUCM/UCXN application is installed.

If you go for separate hardware, then, of course there would be cost of that H/W.

ELM is a centralised user license management and compliance.

regds,

aman

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Rehan,

There are no Node licenses in Call manager 9.It is all user based.

regds,

aman

From all of above answers I assume that we can add subcribers as per our requirement without any additional licenses other than user base licenses, correct me if I am wrong.

Hi Rehan,

You are most correct my friend

Cheers!

Rob

- The Clash

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: