Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7.1(5b)SU4 Upgrade

Morning all,

I plan on upgrading our CUCM cluster to version 7.1(5b)SU4.

Our current version is 7.1(3)SU2 which has a valid upgrade path to 7.1(5b)SU4.

I am attempting to download the software from Cisco, but I only have 2 available files.

UCSInstall_UCOS_7.1.5.33900-10.sgn.iso

UCSInstall_UCOS_UNRST_7.1.5.33900-10.sgn.iso

One of the files is called 'unrestricted', so I am not sure which one to use. When I've previously upgraded our CUCM cluster, I normally download 2 parts to the software and then join the files together before uploading them to the Call Manager. CUCM 7.1(5b)SU4 only appears to have one file, so I hope this is correct.

Any assistance would be appreaciated.

Regards,

Jamie

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jamie,

99% of all builds are classified as "Restricted" which yours will  most likely be going forward. Here is

a description of the differences;

Unrestricted Export Support

#

The restricted US export classification on Cisco Unified CM meant that governmental and military customers in many countries could not employ Unified CM in their networks.

#

In addition to the delay inherent in obtaining export licenses, products classified as restricted by the Department of Commerce (DoC) carry a requirement to allow US government representatives to demand on-site inspections at any time to confirm that the product is being used in accordance with its licensed purpose. This post-shipment verification (PSV) is unacceptable to many customers.

#

Additionally, some foreign countries maintain import restrictions which prohibited Unified CM from being available to customers in those countries. Both US export and foreign import issues stem from Unified CM support for strong encryption of signaling and media.

#

Unrestricted Classification

#

Because Cisco has obtained an unrestricted classification from the DoC for a version of Unified CM, beginning with Unified CM 7.1(5), both restricted and unrestricted versions of Unified CM will be released in parallel.

#

Limitations

#

Signaling and media encryption is permanently disabled in the unrestricted version, but remains unchanged in the restricted version.

#

Migration from the unrestricted version to the restricted version is not supported.

#

Note No impact exists to other security features such as HTTP(s), SSH, password encryption and authentication (for example, SIP digest authentication), mechanisms used by unrestricted Unified CM clients such as JTAPI, TSP, encryption of SNMP traffic, encryption of data related to database that is done by using IPSEC and IMS on the server side.

The communication between CTL client and provider remains encrypted.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/7_1_5/cucm-rel_notes-715.html#wp1768767

So this will be the file;

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jamie,

99% of all builds are classified as "Restricted" which yours will  most likely be going forward. Here is

a description of the differences;

Unrestricted Export Support

#

The restricted US export classification on Cisco Unified CM meant that governmental and military customers in many countries could not employ Unified CM in their networks.

#

In addition to the delay inherent in obtaining export licenses, products classified as restricted by the Department of Commerce (DoC) carry a requirement to allow US government representatives to demand on-site inspections at any time to confirm that the product is being used in accordance with its licensed purpose. This post-shipment verification (PSV) is unacceptable to many customers.

#

Additionally, some foreign countries maintain import restrictions which prohibited Unified CM from being available to customers in those countries. Both US export and foreign import issues stem from Unified CM support for strong encryption of signaling and media.

#

Unrestricted Classification

#

Because Cisco has obtained an unrestricted classification from the DoC for a version of Unified CM, beginning with Unified CM 7.1(5), both restricted and unrestricted versions of Unified CM will be released in parallel.

#

Limitations

#

Signaling and media encryption is permanently disabled in the unrestricted version, but remains unchanged in the restricted version.

#

Migration from the unrestricted version to the restricted version is not supported.

#

Note No impact exists to other security features such as HTTP(s), SSH, password encryption and authentication (for example, SIP digest authentication), mechanisms used by unrestricted Unified CM clients such as JTAPI, TSP, encryption of SNMP traffic, encryption of data related to database that is done by using IPSEC and IMS on the server side.

The communication between CTL client and provider remains encrypted.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/7_1_5/cucm-rel_notes-715.html#wp1768767

So this will be the file;

Cheers!

Rob

Thanks Rob, most apprecaited.

These things never seem to be straight forward : )

Regards,

Jamie