cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9@ Route Pattern Matched Issues

srpm
Level 1
Level 1

Unfortunately I have to deal with a lot of 9@ route patterns in our deployment.  I understand weird things happen when 9@ is used, but even this one is boggling my mind.  So I was hoping someone could help me understand why it's doing what it's doing.

I have a CSS with a collection of partitions.   I'll call the 3 I'm interested in the following: One-PT, Two-PT, Three-PT.

One-PT has a route pattern of 9@ with the Local filter applied going to Gateway 1.

Two-PT has a route pattern of 9@ with the Local filter applied going to Gateway 2.

Three-PT has a route pattern of 9.XXXXXXXXXX with no filter applied (those are 10 Xs) going to Gateway 3.

My phone is assigned to the CSS with these 3 partitions.  When I dial 9 981 xxx xxxx DNA says that 9@ from One-PT is always matched.  If I remove One-PT from the CSS, then 9@ in Two-PT is matched.  Only if I remove those 2 partitions does Three-PT get matched.

Now, as I said above I understand 9@ can introduce weird routing issues, but I thought that the route pattern with 9 and 10 Xs would be more specific and it would be matched.  Obviously I was wrong, but I'm trying to understand why I was wrong. Is this because the 10 digit number dialed matches the NANP and the Local filter matches a NANP area code?  Thus it's the more exact match?

Thanks!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I believe the specificity of 9@ is much closer to 9[2-9]XX[2-9]XXXXXX. This will always be more specific than 9XXXXXXXXXX.

-Jameson

View solution in original post

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

As per the following link

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/5_0_4/ccmsys/ccmsys/a03rp.html#wp1050657

"Using the @ Wildcard Character in Route Patterns

Using the @ wildcard character in a route pattern provides a single route pattern to match all NANP numbers, and requires additional consideration.

The number 92578912 matches both of the following route patterns: 9.@ and 9.XXXXXXX. Even though both these route patterns seem to equally match the address, the 9.@ route pattern actually provides the closest match. The @ wildcard character encompasses many different route patterns, and one of those route patterns is [2-9][02-9]XXXXX. Because the number 2578912 more closely matches [2-9][02-9]XXXXX than it does XXXXXXX, the 9.@ route pattern provides the closest match for routing."

Also, check the following post

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/10698966/9-route-pattern

HTH

Manish

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

I believe the specificity of 9@ is much closer to 9[2-9]XX[2-9]XXXXXX. This will always be more specific than 9XXXXXXXXXX.

-Jameson

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

As per the following link

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/5_0_4/ccmsys/ccmsys/a03rp.html#wp1050657

"Using the @ Wildcard Character in Route Patterns

Using the @ wildcard character in a route pattern provides a single route pattern to match all NANP numbers, and requires additional consideration.

The number 92578912 matches both of the following route patterns: 9.@ and 9.XXXXXXX. Even though both these route patterns seem to equally match the address, the 9.@ route pattern actually provides the closest match. The @ wildcard character encompasses many different route patterns, and one of those route patterns is [2-9][02-9]XXXXX. Because the number 2578912 more closely matches [2-9][02-9]XXXXX than it does XXXXXXX, the 9.@ route pattern provides the closest match for routing."

Also, check the following post

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/10698966/9-route-pattern

HTH

Manish

srpm
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you to both!  After I posted my question, I did some more digging and thinking and your answers were the conclusion I came to.  Glad to have confirmation from others.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: