cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

about Unity Connection Cluster

Mikhail Kalita
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Guys! I have two Business Edition 6000 and I installed Unity Connection 10.5 in one of them. I wanted to add Subscriber, but Subscriber couldn't find Publisher during its installation. I was trying to fix this issue, as result I began to delve into Cisco documentations. Eventually I found this information "The Unity Connection cluster feature is not supported for use with Cisco Business Edition" into "System Requirements for Cisco Unity Connection Release 10.x".Could someone explain the reason of this issue? And could someone give me recommendation how I can sort out this issue?

10 Replies 10

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

With Business Edition 6000, Unity Connection redundancy is supported

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/business-edition-6000/qa_c67-703226.html

Q. Can I order a solution with redundant servers?
A. Yes, order as many Medium and High Density servers as required. User licensing ordered with R-CBE6K-K9 will activate services across multiple servers. No specific licenses are required to enable redundancy for Cisco Unified Communication Manager, Cisco Unity Connection, and Cisco Unified Presence.

Scenario 1: Fully redundant configuration

Cisco BE6000 Medium Density server 1: Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Cisco Unity Connection, Cisco Unified Presence, Cisco Unified Contact Center Express, and Cisco Unified Provisioning Manager (primary)

Cisco BE6000 Medium Density server 2: Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Cisco Unity Connection, Cisco Unified Presence, and Cisco Unified Contact Center Express (secondary)

Cisco BE6000 Medium Density server 3: Cisco Unified Attendant Console

HTH

Manish

Requirements for a Unity Connection 10.x Cluster

See the applicable section:

Unity Connection Cluster Requirements When the Servers are Installed in the Same Building or Site

• Both servers must meet specifications according to the Cisco Unity Connection 10.x Supported Platforms List athttp://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/10x/supported_platforms/10xcucspl.html .
  • For a cluster with two virtual machines, both must have the same virtual platform overlay.
  • Both Unity Connection servers must be collocated.
  • Both Unity Connection servers must be located in the same local-area network.
  • Both Unity Connection servers must have a minimum 100 Mbps Unity Connection to the network.
  • The maximum round-trip latency must be not more than 5 ms.
  • The network must use the following load-balancing techniques for connections to the Unity Connection servers:

The Unity Connection servers are assigned a common DNS name with the Unity Connection publisher server first.

All user client and administrator sessions connect to the Unity Connection publisher server. If the Unity Connection publisher server stops functioning, the user client and administrator sessions must connect to the Unity Connection subscriber server.

Phone systems must attempt to route incoming calls to the Unity Connection subscriber server. If no voice messaging ports are available to answer calls on the Unity Connection subscriber server, the phone systems must route calls to the Unity Connection publisher server.

• The Unity Connection servers must not be separated by a firewall.
  • Both Unity Connection servers must have the same software and engineering-special versions installed.
  • Both Unity Connection servers must have the same enabled features and configurations.
  • Both Unity Connection servers must connect to the same phone system(s).
  • If the Unity Connection servers contain dual NICs, the two NICs on each Unity Connection server must be configured for fault tolerance using a single IP address, or one of the NICs must be disabled. Configuring the two NICs with distinct IP addresses for network load balancing is not supported.
  • For selected servers supported for earlier versions of Unity Connection, a memory upgrade. To determine whether your server requires a memory upgrade, see the applicable server-specific table in the Cisco Unity Connection 10.x Supported Platforms List .

Note The Unity Connection cluster feature is not supported for use with Cisco Business Edition.

There is a difference between a standard Business Edition server that you are referring to and the Business Edition 6000 that i have provided information about. As you are going to install BE 6000 you need to check documentation for BE6000 , not the standard Business Edition which only has a CUCM and Unity Connection co-resident on same server. Please let me know if it is clear now.

Manish

OK. Thank you for you cleared up this for me. But I have a problem with installation Subscriber Server for Unity Connection. I did all of configurations according to guide for adding subscriber server. But, I got an error a description which I attached below. I was also subscribers for CUCM and IM and Presence Server before. I didn't face any issues during installation. But I stumped because of adding subscriber for Unity Connection. Could you help me?

You need to add the Subscriber server's hostname/IP address on the Publisher's Server's Cluster page (System Settings > Cluster).

I did it, because it' obvious and it's written in the guide. Any tips else?

Is the security password correct?

On Publisher: 'run sql select name from processnode'. Whats the Output?

admin:run sql select name from processnode
name
==================
EnterpriseWideData
admin:

Output of command 'run sql select name from processnode'. 

The output looks fine. How about the security password?

Manish Gogna, I attached curious information about Unity Connection 10.x below. It's according to http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/10x/requirements/10xcucsysreqs.html#pgfId-360177. What;s your take on "Note The Unity Connection cluster feature is not supported for use with Cisco Business Edition." What does it mean in this case?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: