Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding New Exchange Servers to Unity

CHRIS KALETH
Level 5
Level 5

We have an existing Unity 4.2.1 server integrated with one Exchange 2003

server. We would like to add two additional Exchange servers in our environment and thus

need to add these servers to Unity. What are the steps required to do this.

8 Replies 8

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

If you are adding the new Exchange servers to the same domain/administrative group as the existing Unity partner server, then the only thing you need to do is run the Unity permissions wizard for the new servers' mounted information stores. This must be run before any users with voicemail are moved to these servers. It wouldn't hurt to make sure the Exchange delegation of permissions wizard is run at the Exchange organization level (top container in ESM) for the unitydirsvc and unitymsgstoresvc.

Ginger

Hey Ginger =)

What Ginger said is totally true, and to add to that, if one of your new exchange servers is to be the partner server to Unity, Message Store Configuration Wizard also needs to be run after PW.

I might even run it anyway cause it syncs up all the mailstores.

Run it with UnityInstall and from add/remove programs.

Randy

Thanks. Do I run the PW wizard after the Exchange addition process has been completed? Will new users work if I don't run the PW or is it just moving existing users. Its been awhile since I ran the PW wizard, anything to be careful about or do I primarily accept the defaults?

We are not changing the parnter mail server (just yet).

Hi again and Randy too :-)

You'll need to wait until the new Exchange servers have Exchange installed on them and the information stores are online. This is required otherwise the Unity permissions wizard won't see them. Another thing to keep in mind is the version of ESM that's on the Unity server. For example, if you're installing Exchange 2003 SP2 on the new servers and Unity ESM version is Exchange 2003 SP1, you'll want to upgrade ESM on the Unity server - that's if you're going to be managing Unity subscribers on those new information stores. When you when the PW and get to the part when you check the information stores, the new ones will be "unchecked". You will need to check the boxes and continue with the program, so don't just accept the defaults.

Ginger

Ginger

Thanks (both of you).

How do I find the version of ESM (Exchange System Manager?) I have on Unity? I'm assuming PW needs to be done off hours?

Hi -

From the Unity server, go to Start > Programs > Microsoft Exchange > System Manager. On this console, click Help - About Exchange System. It is recommended you run PW after normal hours because it results in AD replication - activity on Domain and Global catalog servers. I have run it at 5:00PM during weekday without incident.

Ginger

The new Exchange servers have Exchange installed on them and the information stores are online and I'm at the point in the PW to see all of the mailstores and the new ones are already checked?? Prior to the PW we moved a mailbox over and tested VM succesfully. Do I need to proceed with the PW?

yes you need to finish PW if you havent when all of them are checked.

By default they will all be checked and you uncheck the ones you do not want.

The new ones still need to get the permissions when you finish.

Randy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: