cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AdschemaSetup not making changes on Unity 5.0(1) in a 4.0(4) environment

3dperrier
Level 1
Level 1

I am building a Unity 5.0(1) box on a network that has a Unity 4.0(4) in production. All has been well in building it so far, but I hit a snag running the AdschemaSetup on the Unity 5.0(1) DVD. When I run it, it never shows the box asking if I want to select the Exchanage Directory Monitor, the VPIM or Bridge Connector. The only thing it appears to do is put the ldif logs folder on the desktop which contains the one file, adschemasetup.log. There is only informational messages in the log, the last one is:

LDAP://our_servername.our_domainname.com/CN=cisco-Ecsbu-UM-Schema-Version,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=our_domain,DC=ab,DC=ca E:\Views\CU5.0.0.297\un_Setup\ADSchemaSetup\ADSchemaSetup\ADSchemaSetupDialog.cpp 1315

Nothing else happens when I run adschemasetup.exe except this log folder appears. However, when I logoff and logon, I get a message saying adschemasetup.exe crashed on module msvcrt.dll.

I did this on the schema master domain controller with an account that had membership in the schema master group. I wonder if I'm safe to continue installing this Unity 5.0(1)?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

One other thought came to mind... you could try changing the path environment variable and put the path of the directory containing the msvcrt.dll on the Unity DVD at the front of the path, then run AdSchemaSetup and see if that works. And then just change the path back when you're done.

Nancy

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

navinger
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

The schema hasn't been extended so don't continue with the Unity install. Here's something to try:

1. Change the name of the msvcrt.dll on the Schema Master server.

2. Copy the version of msvcrt.dll from the folder where ADSchemaSetup is found on the Unity DVD.

3. Rerun ADSchemaSetup.exe.

4. If that works, remove the Unity version of msvcrt.dll, and restore the name of the original one back to msvcrt.dll.

Nancy

Interesting. When I replace the original msvcrt.dll file with the one off the Unity DVD, it stays there for about 15 seconds and then the original msvcrt.dll "magically" reappears and replaces the one I copied. Is there something that is restoring that file?

Hi -

I suspect you are running into this - http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/wfp.mspx

Ginger

Yes, that's exactly what is happening. I see from poking around that there used to be a way to disable the file protection, setting the registry key to 0xffffff9b but that method has been disabled. Any way to replace msvcrt.dll while I run adschemasetup.exe?

Hi,

I've posted two responses this afternoon, and I'm not seeing them. Maybe I've been blacklisted? I'll keep trying. Maybe the responses will all show up at once. It's just been that kind of day.

I've got most of the information on how to construct the command line argument to run ldifde.exe. Just getting some clarification on one point, and then I'll post it.

I've also found a trick to defeat Windows File Protection that works: http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=118

(The 0xffffff9d reg setting didn't work for me either).

Nancy

Hey,

My last post showed up. That's progress. In case the previous ones got lost in space, here's a recap...

I found a defect that was recently submitted about the ADSchemaSetup problem that you've run into. I was snooping through the TAC case notes, and one customer did the file renaming thing and it worked. Though there wasn't any mention of running into Windows File Protection in the case notes.

In the second TAC case, with the help of one of the BU's developers, they ran ldifde.exe with this complicated command line argument to extend the schema. I just need to get clarification on one point before posting how to do that. It's way easier to let AdSchemaSetup construct the argument and run ldifde.exe, but it can be done manually if need be.

To help us figure out why we're starting to see this problem, please let me know the following:

What 0S version are you running?

What's the file date/time of msvcrt.dll?

When you right-click on msvcrt.dll and do properties, what's the version info?

Thanks,

Nancy

Hi,

One other thought came to mind... you could try changing the path environment variable and put the path of the directory containing the msvcrt.dll on the Unity DVD at the front of the path, then run AdSchemaSetup and see if that works. And then just change the path back when you're done.

Nancy

We found that we had a bad image of the install DVD. However I appreciate your help and will keep this information in my back pocket as I'm sure I'll run into it sooner or later!

I would like to add we also experienced the same issue as the original post and were able to resolve it by using a Unity 5.0(1) DVD from a different source.

*Image we had an issue with was downloaded from CCO (Release 5.0(1) ML, Date 01-SEP-2007, Size 1706242048)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: