Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AIM-CUE - is it dead? Can the config be recovered?

Hi

A client experienced a power outage and their 2800 series router was not connected to a UPS. Since the router has come back up, the service-engine ip info reads:

interface service-engine is up, line protocol is down

When issueing the service-module service-engine 1/0 status command, this status is returned:

radan-vg#Service-module service-engine 1/0 status

Service Module is Cisco Service-Engine1/0

Service Module supports session via TTY line 66

Service Module is failed

Service Module status is not available

When it says "Service-Module is failed", is that fatal?

If it is fatal, is there any way to get the config off of the module when it is in this state? If so, how?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Rgds

Marc

3 REPLIES

Re: AIM-CUE - is it dead? Can the config be recovered?

Session into the CUE module, it will not display anything because it is in a halted state.

Keep the CUE session open/connected, and open another telnet session into the router (or reverse telnet) and reset the service-module by the service-module service 1/0 reset command and then go right back to your open CUE session and watch it boot up and see where it is stopping.

I have seen this happen, and CUE will try to boot up and may go through steps then say CF failed or not supported type, etc. Then CUE will halt. All this is viewable when sessioned into CUE and you reset it from the router side.

If it saids CF unsupported, etc and halts probably is going to be a RMA. You can try to load up the cue-installer from CUE boot helper and see if it comes up, then if it does try a disk cleanup. However I have only been able to recover one and get it back up and running this way of the several I have had this problem had to date.

I had another recent forum posting, where a cisco engineer responded was that this should not happen that often (especially on newer versions) and they suggested to get a EFA (failure analysis) done on the failed hardware/flash.

As for the config, did you have a backup you can restore from? That is probably going to be the only way from my experiences, unless you are able to recover the CUE.

Bronze

ever got this sorted out.

i had the same issue today. im getting that the line protocol is down and i cant ping the AIM-CUE. i thought it was faulty but i jsut installed it in the lab and its working properly. the lab is a replica of the production. Difference is lab has a 2821 and production has a 2811. SAME IOS AS WELL SPSERVICES 12.4(9)T7

im going back tomorrow to see if i missed anything

Thanks in advance

similar problem for me too, a lab router.

the AIM-CUE output is below but querying its status shows either "waiting for registration message" or "failed".

Is it possible to replace the Compact Flash card ?

I've read it needs to be 2001888 sectors, but does it need partitions setup?

BR2-RTR#sho ver

Cisco IOS Software, C2600 Software (C2600-IPVOICE_IVS-M), Version 12.4(9)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2006 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Sat 17-Jun-06 02:46 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r) [cmong 7r], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

BR2-RTR uptime is 34 minutes

System returned to ROM by power-on

System restarted at 19:41:43 GMT Sun Jan 18 2009

System image file is "flash:c2600-ipvoice_ivs-mz.124-9.T.bin"

Cisco 2611XM (MPC860P) processor (revision 1.0) with 125451K/5621K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID JAD07130QEC

M860 processor: part number 5, mask 2

2 FastEthernet interfaces

1 Serial interface

1 terminal line

1 Channelized E1/PRI port

1 cisco service engine(s)

32K bytes of NVRAM.

32768K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

Initializing memory. Please wait. ... 256 MB SDRAM detected

BIOS Version: Cisco SE-AIM 01.02

BIOS Build date: 08/14/03

System Now Booting ...[BOOT-ASM]

Updating flash with bootloader configuration

1.2.3.4.Error in writing: 0xfffb0031, 0x000000ff

Error in writing: 0xfffb0032, 0x000000ff

Error in writing: 0xfffb0033, 0x000000ff

Views
Helpful
Replies