Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Blackberry DTMF Not Recognized in Unity

Users are reporting callers cannot reach them from certain phones from the PSTN. They dial Unity enter a known valid extension and still get "Sorry, I don't recognize that extension". Dialed from a different cell phone all is okay. The problem has been reported primarily from users of Blackberrys. Is this a problem with the Blackberry, the cell provider, or Unity's recognition of DTMF? I suspect the Blackberry. What can be done?

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Blackberry DTMF Not Recognized in Unity

Unity itself does not do any dtmf tone recognition. This happens on your PSTN gateway (when Unity is using a Skinny or SIP IP integration) or on the Dialogic hardware (voiceboard or PIMG). Troubleshooting this with internal voiceboards can be a bit tricky but in the other cases you can look for what digits are being sent from the gateway.

Some cell phones or cell providers offer the ability to select either long or short dtmf. Sometimes switching from one to the other can help in cases like this.

Also, check if the issue occurs only when the dialed extension has repeated digits (x1223, for example). There were some known bugs in handling double keypresses on earlier versions of Unity.

-Eric

Thanks. I really didn't suspect a Unity issue. Turns out the user found out the issue only occurs when in speakerphone mode, so this is a Blackberry-side issue. Thanks again.

Hmm... I'm having sporadic reports of Blackberry users having similar issues of DTMF tones not being recognized as well into Unity... I have a 7130 and no problems whatsoever but there's a couple reports on the 8700's within my company that are a bit flaky..

Ideas? I'm not familiar with the 8700's yet (I dont have to handle corporate cellular) whether they have a short DTMF length and/or if this can be changed to longer?

Joe

Views
Helpful
Replies