Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bulk admin tool to change send message settings

I need to modify the send message settings for all of my users at once.  Everything I read says to go to tools > bulk edit utility.  Im running 8.5 and I have tools > bulk administration tool which Im not sure will modify all send message settings.  Any help is appreciated.

8 REPLIES

Why don't you just update the User Template?

User Templates Send Message Settings

Table 3-16     User Templates Send Message Settings Page

Field

Description

User Can Send Broadcast Messages to Users on This Server

Check this check box to allow users to send broadcast messages to all users on the local Cisco Unity Connection server.

Default setting: Check box not checked.

User Can Update Broadcast Messages Stored on This Server

Check this check box to allow users to edit broadcast messages. By checking this check box, you also enable users to send broadcast messages to all users on the local Cisco Unity Connection server.

Enter a Recipient By

Select how the conversation prompts users to address messages to other users:

Spelling the Last Name Then First Name

Entering the Extension

Spelling the First Name Then Last Name

Note Addressing by name requires lettered keypads on user phones.

This setting does not apply when using the voice-recognition conversation.

Regardless of the option you select here, as users address a message by phone, they can switch between addressing by name and addressing by extension by pressing the # key twice. However, when the Disable Spelled Name Searches check box is checked on the System Settings > Advanced > Conversations page, users can address messages by phone only by entering user extensions.

Confirm Recipient by Name

Enable this option if you want users to hear a confirmation of a selected name when addressing users. By default, Cisco Unity Connection does not confirm by repeating the name of a user that was just selected from a list.

You might want to enable this option when users address by ID rather than by spelling the name.

Note Users always hear a confirmation when using the voice-recognition conversation.

Continue Adding Names After Each Recipient

Enable this option so that Cisco Unity Connection asks users to continue adding names after each recipient when sending and forwarding messages to multiple recipients.

By default, when users address messages by phone, Connection allows them to add a single recipient and then prompts them to indicate what they want to do next with a key press (for example, "To add another recipient, press 1. For message options, press 3. To record, press #."). Users who send and forward messages to multiple recipients may find pressing 1 to continue addressing after each recipient tedious and time-consuming. By enabling this option, you can significantly streamline the addressing process for users who frequently send and forward messages to multiple recipients.

Note Users are always prompted to continue adding names when using the voice-recognition conversation.

Automatically Add Recipients to Addressing Priority List

Check this check box to have Cisco Unity Connection automatically add message recipients to a weighted list of names the first time that the user addresses to them, and then adjust the weight of names based on subsequent usage.

When the user addresses messages by spelling part of a name, if there are multiple matching names, Connection presents the matches that appear in the addressing priority list first, sorted by weight. When the user addresses messages by using voice commands, Connection uses the weight of a name in the addressing priority list to increase the likelihood that the speech recognition engine selects the name as a match if it is phonetically similar to the name spoken by the user.

Allow Users to Save Draft Messages

Check this check box to allow the user to choose whether to save a message as a draft during message composition.

When a message has been saved as a draft, a voice-recognition user can access the draft message in order to complete and send it by saying "Draft messages" from the main menu. In order for touchtone conversation users to access their draft messages, you must use the Custom Keypad Mapping tool to assign a key to the Edit Draft Messages option in a custom conversation and assign the users to the custom conversation.

You can configure the number of days that messages are retained in user draft message folders by changing the value of the Draft Messages: Retention Period (in Days) setting on the System Settings > Advanced > Conversations page. If a draft message is not accessed and modified by the user during that time period, it is automatically deleted.

Retain Urgency Flag When Forwarding or Replying to Messages

Check this check box to have Cisco Unity Connection retain the urgency flag when users forward or reply to urgent messages by using the phone interface.

This setting does not apply to messages sent by using the Connection Web Inbox, an IMAP email client, or ViewMail.

When a Call Is Disconnected or the User Hangs Up

Indicate whether you want Cisco Unity Connection to send or discard messages when calls are disconnected while users are in the process of sending, replying to, or forwarding a message.

Calls can be intentionally or unintentionally disconnected when a user hangs up or a mobile phone loses its charge or signal, and so on. By default, Connection sends the message if the call is disconnected in the following circumstances:

When a user is replying to or sending a message—As long as the message has at least one recipient and the recording is more than one second (1,000 milliseconds) in length. This means that Connection sends the message even though the user may not have finished recording or addressing the message.

When a user is forwarding a message—As long as the message has at least one recipient. This means that Connection sends the message even though the user may not have recorded an introduction or completely addressed the message.

When Discard Message is selected, Connection does not send a message unless users have pressed # to confirm that they are ready to send the message. If the call is disconnected before a user has a chance to send the message, Connection deletes the message rather than sending it.

When Save Message as Draft is selected, Connection saves the message to the drafts folder. When a message has been saved as a draft, a voice-recognition user can access the draft message in order to complete and send it by saying "Draft messages" from the main menu. In order for touchtone conversation users to access their draft messages, you must use the Custom Keypad Mapping tool to assign a key to the Edit Draft Messages option in a custom conversation, and also assign the users to the custom conversation.

You can configure the number of days that messages are retained in user draft message folders by changing the value of the Draft Messages: Retention Period (in Days) setting on the System Settings > Advanced > Conversations page. If a draft message is not accessed and modified by the user during the specified time period, it is automatically deleted.

Default setting: Send Message.

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

Thats the first thing I did,  but none of the user accounts were updated.  How can I push that change?

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Troy,

In Unity Connection (and Unity) changes made at the Template level

are not retroactive and will only be applied to users that are created

after the Template change so that won't work here

Bulk Edit changed in 8.x from where it was accessed in 7.x.

Here's a clip that speaks to how this is run now. You first search and select all

the users you want to change and then choose Bulk Edit;

To Edit User Account Information in Bulk Edit Mode (some editing from original this example

is for Caller Input settings but you'll see the point)

#

Step 1 In Cisco Unity Connection Administration, on the Search Users page, check the applicable user check boxes, and select Bulk Edit.

#

If the user accounts that you want to edit in bulk do not all appear on one Search page, check all applicable check boxes on the first page, then go to the next page and check all applicable check boxes, and so on, until you have selected all applicable users. Then select Bulk Edit.

#

Step 2 On the Edit Caller Input page, change settings as applicable.

#

Note The Status message at the top of the Edit Caller Input page tells you how many user accounts are being edited. Also note that the page is populated only with the fields that you are allowed to edit in bulk mode, and that the fields available for edit also depend on whether all of the user accounts reside on the local server.

#

Step 3 If applicable, set the Bulk Edit Task Scheduling Fields to schedule the Bulk Edit operation for a later date and/or time.

#

Step 4 Select Submit.

#

Step 5 If applicable, continue to change settings for these user accounts on the related pages available from the Edit menu. As you make changes on each page, select Submit before going on to the next page to make additional changes.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/user_mac/guide/8xcucmac090.html#wp1049545

Try a couple of test users first to come up with the exact plan.

Cheers!

Rob

Please remember to tag your threads and help support "Teachers without Borders"

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/idea-center/communityhelpingcommunity

Rob,

Good point +5 I completely forgot that a user template is applied during user creation

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

Rob,

After selecting the appropriate users, the only option I have is 'Bulk Edit By CSV'.  I'm prompted for a csv file location on the next page.  I assume this is the same csv file that I can generate from the bulk admin tool?

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Troy,

That sounds like BAT (Bulk Admin Tool)

Can you try just going in like you were going to change one "test" user via normal connection

admin pages. Once you select this "test" user by clicking on the checkbox beside their account then

select Bulk Edit. This should bring up your available change areas.

Cheers!

Rob

Re: Bulk admin tool to change send message settings

Ah, my apologies Rob, I was looking at the 'Related Links' dropdown list in the upper right corner since thats what I saw first.  I didn't realize the bulk edit button at the bottom of the page.  All is well now, users have been bulk edited.  Thanks for all of your help!

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hey Troy,

Good stuff

Bulk Edit is such an excellent tool it's like your best friend here.

Cheers!

Rob

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content