"Could not find a unified messaging accounts with columns: subscriberalias = dhopewel, servicedisplayname = Production Exchange 2010 and optionalServiceAccountID: 24b077f3-a83d-4736-96fc-5af2a4338443|",dhopewel,Production Exchange 2010,24b077f3-a83d-4736-96fc-5af2a4338443,email@example.com,1,0,0,1,0,0,0,,
You are correct that you cannot change the UM service with BulkEdit so we will use Bulk Administration to fix this.
If the users already have a UM service use these steps.
1. Create a user with the correct UM service to use as our template.
2. Use Bulk Admin to export out all the users with UM accounts. This file will contain users with the old UM service and our example user with the new UM service.
3. This is where I will create a test file where I cut out all of the old UM service users except for 10 accounts who I will use to perform a test update with. Just have a copy of our file from step 2 so we still have the full list fo 13k users handy.
-Use the example user as our template and update 10 test users with the new UM service in the
'serviceDisplayName' field and leave the data in 'OptionalServiceAccountID' field blank. No need to change any other fields.
-At this point you should have a file where you have only the 10 test users with the new UM service ready to update.
4. Use Bulk Admin to delete the UM service from the users in our test file.
5. Use Bulk Admin to create the UM accounts in our test file. If it worked please check the settings from the UC admin page or start testing by leaving voicemails on the system and see if they are delievered to the correct Exchange environment.
6. Once you are happy with the test results, you will be able to replicate the steps for the other users to get everyone running on the new UM service account.
On a side note, the key here is that anytime you need to change a UM service you must delete it from the user before you can add the new service.
I finally figured out that you need to remove the UM Accounts before you can change them. I would think the "Update" would do that but it would of been too easy.The other thing that got me was that you needed to leave the 'OptionalServiceAccountID' blank. Once I changed that and re-ran the edit, I was able to delete the users. So in order to "update" users with different UM Accounts, you need to basically create to files...1 to remove their old services, and 1 to add the new service.
SIP traces provide key information in troubleshooting SIP Trunks, SIP
endpoints and other SIP related issues. Even though these traces are in
clear text, these texts can be gibberish unless you understand fully
what they mean. This document attempts to br...
Please find the attached HTML document, download and open it on your PC.
This provides an easy to use form where you simply answer a few
questions and it will render the proper jabber-config.xml file for you
to copy/paste. There is built in logic to verif...
CUCM Database Replication is an area in which Cisco customers and
partners have asked for more in-depth training in being able to properly
assess a replication problem and potentially resolve an issue without
involving TAC. This document discusses the bas...