Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bulk Subscriber Reset

The Bulk Subscriber Reset 1.0 Build 4 is not working on My Unity 4.0(4)SR1.

It gives me the following errors although I'm logged in as a Full Exchange Administrator and this account is a member of the local Admin group:

----------------------------------------

(error):429 (ActiveX component can't create object) in procedure RemoveSubscriberMessages of Form frmResetSubscribers

(error):91 (Object variable or With block variable not set) in procedure RemoveSubscriberMessages of Form frmResetSubscribers

(error) could not log into mailbox with SMTP address=rduric@****. ca and Exchange server name=xyz. Make sure you are logged into the system with an account that has send as/receive as and full mailstore rights on all mailstores that home subscribers.

(error) mailbox messages for subscriber could not be removed.

Removing subscriber from SQL

Directory sync complete for removal

Adding subscriber back to SQL with new template settings

User created in SQL

Updating global subscriber table with new ObjectID values

Subscriber synch with directory started.

Directory sync complete for creation

----------------------------------------

Is there a newer version of this utility? Is there a chance this utility will be TAC supported? Thanks

8 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Bulk Subscriber Reset

No, there is not a newer version of the tool and no it wont ever be TAC supported.

And I don't think this is a problem with the tool - the error message is very clear and accurate. It tried to log into the mailbox and was denied - there is zero I can do to "force" Exchange to let me in if the account is not allowed to do so - so there is no "fix" possible here.

I normally tell folks to log in as the same account associated with the AvCsMgr service and test it that way (same deal with all tools that need to log into mailboxes) - if that does not work then something up stream is wrong (possibly a CDO dll issue from a client installation on the Unity server which is a no-no). IF it does work, then go with that.

Remember that members of the admin group are explicitly denied SA/RA rights in the mailstore by MS service packs along the way. This type of thing bites people time and time again in the field.

Thanks Jeff. I thought this tool would solve my student population enrollment problem into Unity where every year I need to reset about 3,700 subscribes. Today we do this by using the Bulk Delete and Bulk Import utilities. In the process we would also delete all the Exchange MBOXs and UsersID's. The process takes about 48 hours and is prone to many errors.

A couple of days ago I noticed a huge StreamFiles directory (25,000 files) since the Bulk Delete actually doesn't delete the SubNames and Greetings WAV files. I hope DBWalker will be able to fix this by selecting an option to remove orphaned WAV files. I tried this on another server and saw that this process takes lots of time and memory. I need to schedule a maintenance window to run this on the student Unity server. I can also see a number of these orphenad SubName WAV files on my other two Unity servers (total of 3 Unity servers digitally networked). My impression is when I run DBWalker on all 3 servers I should have a clean environment. Could this huge number of orhenad files affect performance of my Unity environment?

Jeff, it would be really nice, when you delete a subscriber in Unity the SubName and Greeting also be deleted on the host server and all other servers in your Unity cluster!

I'd like to have a utility like Bulk Unity Reset which works, under TAC support, and new versions being released when necessary, like in case when the MS service pack deny SA/RA rights to the admin group.

Cisco Employee

A few things here.

First, the greetings and voice names I believe are removed in more recent versions of Unity - the heavy lifting should be done by the stored procedure which deletes the subscriber from the database, not by the tool asking the user to be deleted - I believe this was fixed in 4.0(5) actually.

Second, the tool does exactly what you want - that's why I made it. It's used at many sites who use it for just what you describe.

Third, updating the tool will have, and will never have and can never have the effect you describe. If MS releases a SP that restricts account access to mailstores based on group membershipt or the like, nothing I can do will cause the tool to somehow be able to penetrate that new security schema. Same deal for Unity's services that have been taken out at the knees by such changes. You simply must comply and use accounts which are configured to gain access to the resources you desire. If MS changes those requirements you have to adjust. No other way around it.

Did you try using the account associated with AvCsMgr?

Yes, I did use the UnityMessageStoreSvc account (associated with AvCsMgr) and the error message was the same. In regards to an MS service pack I only meant that you would post info on the site that the utility was tested with a particular SP and a workaround if necessary. I didn't mean you would change the code itself.

Once I installed the latest MSM, i.e. the cdo library, Bulk Subscriber Reset started to work. This is great but I have another problem. The recorded names are not being reset. I know that the recorded name is an attribute in AD and the Unity SQLsync service should reset this attribute. Obviesly this synchronization is not working on my small test system and probably won't work in production where I have 7,000 subscribers. Is there any other tool (like Bulk Edit etc.) which I could use to reset the recorded names of my subscribers? Thanks.

Cisco Employee

No, there's nothing specific to removing the voice name. Looking at it here, it appears the SQLSyncSvr is not removing the name property at all even though the value passed in is NULL - I'll have to ping a couple folks to see if there's a way to force this another way.

Thanks Jeff. I really appreciate your response. It would be great if you could somehow resolve this voice name issue. That would help my organization and I'm sure other sites too. Thanks again.

Cisco Employee

OK - think I ran the voice name thing to ground as well as the reports of the greeting files sticking around.

The voice name thing has to do with parameters into the SP_DeleteSubscriber stored proc not forcing it to remove all properties - since it binds right back up to that same object after the delete it hid this fact. That was reasonably straight forward.

The greeting and voice name WAV files themselves are not deleted right away - you see them in the "streamstodelete" table in the database and a background process picks them up in the background at night for removal. This is less than ideal for bulk operations like this so I added logic to force the removal of the files up front so this does not need to take place.

Anyway - I have an updated version if you would like to test it - I have to run it through a few more tests before posting a new version but if you want to try it out in your lab email me directly at lindborg at cisco dot com and I'll shoot you a setup for it.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content