Views
Helpful
Replies

Call Handler Guidance

ciscounity
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am facing a unique issue in Unity,Whenever a caller calls from outside the greeting played by the guidenace call handler is different,

Earlier the standard greeting used to play, now the following geeting plays

"The person is unavailable, record your message at the tone, when you are finished hangup or

hold for more options"

I can press the * key and login to mailbox, why is the standard greeting

not playing.

OS - Windows 2000 SP4

Unity - 4.0(5)

Regards,

Avinash

7 Replies 7

MikeTomasko
Level 4
Level 4

Is this call handler a direct dial number? Is the call coming through Call Manager or another type of switch? Did you check to see if you have schedules setup on the call handler?

yes a direct dial no,the call is coming through call manager, the alternate and closed greeting were enabled, after disabling them this was resolved, but still some calls are from unidentified callers

are landing in unity,(some of these are recordings of conversations), any idea where

i should start looking.

Regards,

Avinash

If the Call Handler is a 24x7 Call Handler, check the schedule you have it set to. Make sure it's set to an All Hours schedule.

Where are these "unidentified callers" landing in Unity? A mailbox, the same Call Handler you spoke of earlier?

Yes these "unidentified calls" are landing to

a DL and then to a mailbox, as i mentioned some of these are recordings, Is there anyway

in unity by which to locate the origin of these call.

Regards,

Avinash

Hi Avinash -

On the Call handler Guidance, I see you have the After Greeting action set to take a message. On the Messages page for the call handler, who is the message recipient? Make sure you have a valid link here, i.e. the subscriber has not been deleted. Also, messages from external callers come by way of the Unity_servername mailbox. If the intended subscriber's mailbox is full, these messages get routed to the Unaddressed Messages distribution list (by default). You might want to check, in Exchange, the mailboxes that have been added, if any, to this DL.

Sincerely, Ginger

The message recipient on the messages page is

a DL, For the unaddressesd messages DL the member is DL, this is ok, but why are so

many unidentified caller messages landing here (mailbox full is ok), some of these are recordings also is there a way to find the actual intended recipient of these voicemails (for subscribers whose mailbox is full)

Regards,

Avinash

Hi Avinash -

Definitely not a scientific method, but I listen to each voice message and attempt to reroute valid messages to the correct recipient, if there is one. When you delete a subscriber from Unity, but leave the RNA or busy configuration on the phone to still go to voicemail, Unity is unable to route the call appropriately. So it ends up in the Unaddressed DL. When we delete users from Unity voicemail, we also change the IP phone directory number forwarding. Instead of checking the voicemail box in CallManager, we forward the caller to a Unity call handler with the recording "You have reached a vacant County number." The caller is not able to leave a message. That way, these unidentified caller messages are minimized. Here is a good Cisco doc that discusses monitoring unaddresses messages - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_maintenance_guide_chapter09186a008044380a.html

You can also implement the Full-Mailbox Check Feature, which advises the caller he or she cannot leave a message because a subscriber's mailbox is full - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/prod_troubleshooting_guide_chapter09186a0080449d92.html#wp1207904

Ginger