Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Call Handlers and Recorded Names

I just posted this as a reply to an earlier post, but it went to the IPT forum. I'm re-posting it here in the Unity form, hoping someone can answer:

Does anyone know if there is an absolute requirement to have a recorded name in order to be "search-able" via the Direcotory Handler? Is there a way to change this requirement via any Adv. Settings tool or any registry edit?

We are going to add about 500 Internet Subscribers for extensions that will reside on a PBX (so we can transfer to them out of Unity AA) and would like to use the Dir. Handler and have these extensions also be available for search by the caller. However, it's not realistic to have a recorded name for each and everyone of these subscribers.

Any ideas or workarounds? We're running Unity version 4.2.1.

Thanks,

Joseph

3 REPLIES

Re: Call Handlers and Recorded Names

I guess I should have used "Directory Handlers and Recorded Names" for my post subject line. Oh well..

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Joseph,

Warm up those vocal chords :)This is a requirement that you can't get around. Have a look;

Directory handlers provide directory assistance in Cisco Unity that callers can use to reach subscribers. When a caller searches on a subscriber name or part of a name, a directory handler looks up the extension and routes the call to the appropriate subscriber. ***Note: that subscribers cannot be accessed by using directory handlers unless they have recorded names.

From this good Unity doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a008022d1d5.html#wp1104387

Also, have a look at this thread where Jeff Lindborg (Cisco Unity Design Architect) addresses this exact question.

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=Unified%20Communications%20Applications&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddad34d/0#selected_message

Hope this helps! I'm sure you can record these names in a few hours.

Rob

Thanks Rob. I'm familiar with the link and the post. The more you think about it, it makes more sense that this should work the way it is now (recorded voice being required) as that's used to inform the caller that they're dialing the right extension.

Anyhow, I'll let the customer know if they want to provdide a healthy voice and bother recording all the names, or just scrap the Directory Handler feature off their AA when they move it into Unity. I think they're leaning towards the 2nd choice, and I can't blame them :-)

Thanks,

Joseph

Views
Helpful
Replies