Replies

caller input - disconnecting caller

NatDannon
Level 1
Level 1

Call Manager 4.2

Unity 4.0

Scenario:

Main department phone (7960) has several lines.

Line 1 is the main dept. number, and has it's own mailbox. This mailbox is set to always give greeting which offers caller input instructions.

Line 2 on same phone is the target for option 3, it's the reception line.

Problem:

If line 2 is busy when someone calling line 1 presses option 3, caller hears a short blip of music on hold, and the call disconnects.

If the line is not in use - all is fine - line rings, and gets answered or handled by voicemail.

Question:

What about the "busy" condition of line, could be causing the disconnect? Any help or suggestions, would be appreciated.

Note: line 2 is set for 4/1 on max call/busy trigger. Receptionist is to get one live call at a time, and the rest are to be handled by voicemail.

Nat

6 Replies 6

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Nat -

Is Option 3 a call handler that does a transfer to the second line? If so, on the Transfer type have you specified Release to Switch or Supervise Transfer? What is the CallManager coverage for the 2nd line (meaning does it call forward to voicemail if busy)?

Ginger

Hi Ginger,

Customers call main number (line 1 on phone) -this is a mailbox offering caller input selections. Option 3, it's set to "attempt transfer for... subscriber (receptionist, which is line 2 on phone)".

There are no call handler's involved, just the two subscriber mailboxes.

CallManager coverage for the 2nd line is - forward to voicemail under RNA, Busy, No Coverage, Unregistered (everything is checked except the ALL box). There is no call search space selected for any of them, it's set to none.

Call Transfer for line 1 mailbox is set for Release to Switch, and has the Yes, ring subscriber at this number (line 2 DN).

Call Transfer for line 2 mailbox is set for Yes, ring subscriber's extension (line 2 DN).

Nat

Hi Nat -

I'm pretty sure that callers calling line 1 directly and rolling to its voicemail mailbox if not answered will not use the Call Transfer setting (this is only for indirect calls to line 1, for example callers dial the Unity opening greeting and dial the line 1 extension). On the call transfer setting for the line 2 mailbox, are you using Supervised Transfer, and if so, do you have If the Call is busy, Always hold? If you have this configured, try changing it to No Holding, which means if line 2 is busy, callers will get the mailbox line 2 greeting. This would be just a test to validate Unity music on hold/queuing. You might also run Call Viewer/Port Status Monitor during this time to see what Unity is doing and if you have enough voicemail ports (that would apply if you were putting the caller on hold when line 2 was busy). I also don't think you are having problems with call restriction tables or voicemail port class of service issues because you are getting to line 2 and covering to voicemail if line 2 is not busy.

Ginger

Call transfer setting for the line 2 mailbox, is using: Release to Switch

Call Viewer/Port status Monitor sounds like a good idea, I'll need to learn how to use it.

I appreciate your input. We've escalated this to our vendor to help figure out what's causing the problem, and how to correct it.

In the meantime we have option 3 set to send to greeting, instead of attempt to transfer.

Nat

Hi -

For Unity Call Viewer, go to Start - Programs - Unity - Call Viewer. Or you can start it from your Unity Tools Depot on the Unity server desktop. Select Switch Integration Tools. It opens a real-time window that displays incoming calls to Unity, the forwarding reason, callerid (if sent from the PBX) etc. Once it is started, the next call coming into Unity will show in the viewer. Port Status Monitor is also run from the Unity Tools Depot, select Switch Integration Tools. There is extensive help available. The port status monitor gives more detail on the call flow within the Unity conversation and prompts and can be used to assist TAC in diagnosing a problem. Both tools can save a log file of the activity that occurred while the tool was running. I did a similar test here with my own phone configured with two lines, both lines 4/1. When I pressed the 3 key, I got the Busy greeting whether I had supervised transfer or Release to switch coded. Since you are doing release to switch, it almost sounds like CallManager is not getting to Unity when line is busy. Another place to look is on the CallManager subscriber server that is the primary CCM for the user's phone. You can determine this by going to the phone, click Settings, 3-Network Configuration, 21-CallManager1 (Look for Active) Then remote into your subscriber server and look at the C:\Program Files\Cisco\Trace\CCM trace files.

Ginger

Thank you for this great information. I'll be leaving for the day, soon, so won't have time to try this out until later on, but will save the instructions you've so kindly offered. For now, I'll pass this on to my manager. Have a great weekend. Nat

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: