cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cant retrieve voicemail from phone, but do get emailed messages

jjoseph01
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, this is my first post, so forgive me if I dont do something right here. First, my hardware: I have Unity 4.0.2 running on a Win2000 server. I also have Exchange2000 environment. The problem is this: when I try to access my voicemail from my cisco7960 phone, it asks for a password, I type it in, and it gives the following message: "Sorry, this system is temporarily unable to complete your call. Please try again later." When someone leaves me a message, I can get to it via Exchange email sent to me, with no problem. But I can not login to my phone and get them. I checked event viewer on the server and get these messages below:

Unity was unable to retrive the mailbox for the subscriber to verify the status of the mailbox. Unity needs to know if the mailbox has the ability to send and recive mails. Possible reasons could be a missing mailx, which can be determined through DBWalker or a corrupt memory. Technical information IAvDohMailUser::get_PrimaryMailbox returned [0x8004000c] on line 199 of file e:\views\Unity4.0.2.122\un_Core2\ConversationEng\AvStateSvr\AvSGetMailboxStatus.cpp. Check the return code through DohErrorTest tool.

AND

Unity was unable to determine the mailbox status for the subscriber. Unity needs to know if the mailbox has the ability to send and recive mails. Technical details - GetMailboxStatus returned [0x8004000c] on line 98 of file e:\views\Unity4.0.2.122\un_Core2\ConversationEng\AvStateSvr\AvSGetMailboxStatus.cpp.

Im not sure where to go at this point. I do know that some users CAN get to thier voicemail from thier phone, while a few others CANNOT.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

32 Replies 32

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

first things first....

run DBWALKER on your Unity server. just load and run from Unity Tools Depot. (do not set any automatic fixes or any other options, just run it as is)

when it is completed, read carefully all the output of errors, issues, etc.

attempt to fix all errors found. you may very well find the subscriber your attempting to retrieve VMs for has a problem.

when completed fixing all issues, etc. run DBWALKER again and hopefully it will be error free. if not, fix any issues and run again until all issues are resolved or you at least know what the issue is and why it exists.

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can the subscriber log into their Exchange mailbox? You could have some permissions problems with this subscriber.

Have the subscriber:

- login ito OWA, send a message, reply, etc)

- Log into Outlook to Exchange server and pull up their messages... (not cached profile)

If this is all sucessful, we know then Exchange is working, Subscriber's mailbox is working, etc. It would point to UnityMsgStrSVC not working properly for that one subscriber. You stated that other subscribers are working fine, but this "one" account is not.

I had a problem the other day where another administrator (could kill them) deleted the persons AD account, recreated it and their Exchange mailbox. Then of course, Telecom gets the call that their voicemail is not working.. Turns out all the Unity attributes are gone and we need to re "add" the person back into Unity. Basically a new subscriber.

Here is what I found from the dbwalker, please see attached. Not sure what this means. Any help Id be thankful for.

Also, yes, OWA works fine, they get email ok. No issues with email. They get messages left to their extension in thier email and they can get them. Just cant get to them from their phone.

Is it from the same phone, or you try a different phone?

After the subscriber at their hits the Messages button the phone, does it ask them to login? If the login, then it says the error message?

Thanks

This happens on different phones. I have one other user that has the same issue on their phone also.

When the user hits the messages button, the user is asked for their password. When the user types it in, then the message comes. I still have not been able to resolve this yet.

This is too easy.. but have you restarted Unity?

Are you running a failover config?

No, I have not restarted Unity. No, no failover either. I thought that since some people were able to get voicemail off their phone, that I probably wouldnt need to restart it. Do you mean restart the service or the server itself?

If you havent shut the system down completely in awhile, I would probably give it a kick now. You can go to the Services in Windows and do it manually, but I would just reboot all together.

Are you using IP Phones or a different type of integration. I have seen odd behavior with IP phones with older TSP versions to callmanager...

Will plan on a reboot. No, these are Cisco 7960 phones that are in place.

If they are 7960, also just check to make sure you are up to date on the TSP software for CallManager and Unity. This can cause odd issues when dialing into Unity from an IP phone. But sounds more like a reboot is in order.

Rebooting didnt help. My thoughts are this: CallManager calls the Unity number, it seems to authenticate with Unity, then gets the message. I could be wrong, Im just trying to think logically through it. What is the TSP software?

http://cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/unity-cm-tsp-8x

You will need a CCO login to access this software. TSP is the communication between Unity and CallManager... kind of like virtual analog ports between CCM and Unity, but IP based. If the TSP versions or mixed, or out of date, you will run into problems for sure.

Couple other things:

Open up Unity Tools at the server

open up Port Monitor under Integration

Open all the ports...

Dial from the IP phone to the Unity server

You should see it actually answer the call in that window...

You can then watch what Unity is actually doing with the call as listens for DTMF, etc.

Also under your Switch Integration with CallManager.. what version TSP do you have loaded?

Thanks

So what was the resolution to your problem?

thanks!