cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changes to UnityDb.bak & ReportDb.bak

lolu.oshunbiyi
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Unity server running voicemail only on box 4.2(1) that is very low on disk space. Is it possible to change the location of the Report.Db.bak & UnityDb.bak files to a network drive?

Also would there be a problem to run the SqlWeeklyBackupJob twice a week say Wednesday & Sunday as this does shrink the database and reclaim disk space?

Thanks,

Lolu

4 Replies 4

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

Here is a forum entry I opened in 2005 for the same reason - http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=Unified%20Communications%20Applications&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1dda1979

This process works really well! Another thought, move the *bak files to a different drive than Unity or your OS if possible (especially if Unity and OS on C drive). This past Sunday, I had a backed up mirror that failed to power up after application of a failed security update. Lost my OS due to critical files missing. I was able to recover the C drive from an earlier mirrored backup drive from August 5th. The OS and Unity came up OK, just was out of date by about 3 weeks! I was able to work with TAC to restore my UnityDb to current because I had the UnityDb.bak available on a different mirror set taken at 3:00 AM that morning. Went into SQL Enterprise Manager and restored the Unity database from the *bak file. The only other folder I needed to restore, which we did from our Veritas backup, was the Stream Files folder. Ran a DbWalker following this recovery with no errors. So having the UnityDb.bak file on a different drive saved my bacon big time.

Sincerely, Ginger

lolu.oshunbiyi
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Ginger, this is quite an old server that will be replaces shortly. Unfortunatley Unity & OS are on the the C drive and I do not have another drive to change the location to on the server itself, hence the question if there would be any complications using a network drive on another server?

Thanks,

Lolu

Hi Lolu -

I would be hesitant to use a networked drive. Just a thought - have you already taken steps to clean up your C drive disk files? For example, you can typically delete:

1. All $ntUninstall* and $NtServicePackUninstall* files older than the current month (these are OS and security update uninstall files) from the C:\Windows directory or C:\WinNT if running Windows 2000.

2. From the same directory, all KB*.log files

3. Check for any minidump files and delete if not needed (or copy these to networked drive and delete from C)

Ginger

Ginger,

Thanks, there were a couple of the $ntUninstall files and I managed to reclaim around 200MB.

The problem is the ReportDb.bak grows to around 300MB and the UnityDb.bak to around 600MB by the end of the week, so I have scheduled the sql weekly backup to run on Wednesday as well as Sunday as it does a full backup and seems to get rid of the daily differential backups hence saving space.

Lolu