cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing DNS on CUCM 8 without affecting license mac

mark.watson
Level 1
Level 1

So my customer now wants to use DNS on their CUCM as they use Microsoft Voicemail and the new version of that requires DNS resolution.  I know that will change the license mac once I do it and will immediately make the CUCM un-useable as the license will now not be valid.

Is there a way around this and if not, what is the fastest way to get the license file rehosted?

10 Replies 10

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mark,

You actually get a 30 day grace period where the old license will continue to work which should be plenty of time to re-host the license;

Obtaining Rehosted Licenses When You Change License MAC Parameters

When you change any of the parameters that create the license MAC, the  license that you obtained with it becomes invalid. You must request a  rehosting of the license to obtain a valid license. The old license  continues to work for a 30-day grace period.

To rehost your licenses, you must open a case with the licensing team.  Contact the licensing team atlicensing@cisco.com.

During the grace period, you can change the settings back to the  licensed values to make your original license valid again. If you need  more than 30 days of grace period, change your settings back to the  licensed values, then change them back to the new values that you want  to use. You will get another 30- day grace period.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/8_0_2/install/cmins802.html#wp585284

Cheers!

Rob

Thanks Rob,

I know that is true of version 9 and above, but is that the case for version 8 as well?

Hi Mark,

Yes, this is true for CUCM 8.x versions on "virtual" builds as well :) The doc I linked is for 8.0 where this grace period was first introduced.

Cheers!

Rob

That's interesting as this is not "virtualized'.  Does the license MAC work the same way on an MCS server?

Hi Mark,

You won't need to worry about this change on a MCS box as the license is based solely on the physical MAC of the Publisher.

Cheers!

Rob

Hi.

Great answer from my buddy Rob as usual :) (+5 Rob).

To answer to the rehost license query, with new licensing portal www.cisco.com/go/license you can easily rehost licenses just from there if licenses were registered through your CCO.

From that portal, list all your licenses.

Select the license you want to rehost and click to rehost.

HTH

Regards.

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

Hey Carlo,

Great point my friend! +5 all day long!

Cheers!

Rob

Hi rob.huffman

For re-hosting the license do I have to provide old license file  to TAC ? We don't have old license file . Can we download it from ELM 9.1 ?

Hi.

To rehost license, you should browse www.cisco.com/go/license.

Login with your CCO (if license were registered with your account)

Search for previously registered license, click on it and select reshost on the tail menu that appears.

On elm generate request and paste on Licensing portal page when requested.

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

Hi rob 

how about this one... I did a p2v on my 8.6 cluster got new license files for my virtual host applied them.

my migration has been paused for two weeks I have sites on both virtual and physical servers.

when will my MCSs stop working?

thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: