Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing the exchange server.

netkrish80
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We are having a Unity VM only setup. Exchange 2000 is running in the unity server. We are going to implement failover of unity server. For this we need to change the unity exchange server to the new server.

Shall we install the unity discs to install the OS and exhange server ?

During the changing of the messaging server will be mailbox also be moved to the new exchange server?

If not what is the procedure to move the mailbox.

Krishna.

7 Replies 7

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Here is what I would do.

- Install the new Exchange server on a new server. Add to domain, same Exchange forest, etc You can use any Windows 2000/2003 or Exchange 2000/2003 discs. The Cisco discs are not required, but recommended to use.

- Run the permissions setup, so Unity sees a new Exchange server for subscribers.

- Move your subscribers to the new Exchange store

- check to see that all subscribers are working on the new server, MWIs work, message retrieval, etc

- Install your Failover server for Unity. keep ing mind that all versions are the same, patching, etc match your primary server

Of course, these are all basic... there a few guides that reflect what you are trying to do. But remember, you are doing two separate tasks. Move to a new Exchange server adding in Failover.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_white_paper09186a0080109775.shtml

This doc shows to migrate from VM to UM. Same concept, but you will be using the same domain. You can use the Exchange tools to move mailboxes from one server to another.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_upgrade_guides_chapter09186a0080205a7f.html

changing the partner server for Exchange

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_upgrade_guides_chapter09186a0080205a7d.html#wp1303947

adding failover.

This give you plenty of reading.

good luck! Remember to pull a drive and backup everything before attempting anything

Hey,

Thanks for the resposne. Infact i also thought all the steps which you have mentioned. but i forgot the permission setup. Thanks for reminding.

Krishna.

Hi Krisna -

Check to see what SQL version your Unity server is running. If you have SQL for 32 ports or more, that is the configuration needed for failover. If you are running MSDE, the default for 32 ports or less on a non-failover configuration, then you will need to upgrade to SQL. Here is a link for you to reference - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_upgrade_guides_chapter09186a0080205a8c.html#wp1038642

Ginger

Hey,

I followed the steps and i was stuck during the change of the partner exchange server procdure. when we went tried to change the exchange server via control panel options we need to move the mail box a a procedure. Unfortunately we are not able to move the mailbox and we are receiving the messsage MAPI PROVIDER FAILED. UNABLE TO CONNECT TO THE SOURCE SERVER.

Checked in Microsoft Site. But no help.

Krishna.

If you installed the new Exchange server in the same domain, Exchange Org, it show up automagically. Just click on the mailboxes to move, and move to the new store on that server. It will rehome the mailboxes, update AD, hence updating Unity. Re-run permissions and Exchange stuff for Unity and you should be set. Unity will be able to MWI, deliver, retrieve from the new store.

If you are in a different domain, then you have to use DiRT. Export, then import and pray your alias match.

Hi,

We installed the exchange in the same domain. New exchange server is listed. When we try to move the mailbox its throwing the error.

After the step 11 i am stuck. The error message i am receiving is pasted below.

Started to move mailbox 'username'.

Source Database: /o=companyname/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=unityservername/cn=Microsoft Private MDB

Destination Database: /o=company name/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=INBFCEITICUT01/cn=Microsoft Private MDB

Exchange DN: /o=company name/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=username

Failed to read attribute msExchUserAccountControl from Active Directory for /o=company name /ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=UnityInstall.

Logon Failure on database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (unityserver)" - Windows 2000 account domain\unityinstall; mailbox /o=companyname /ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=INBFCEITIUT01/cn=Microsoft System Attendant.

Error: -2147467259

The attempt to log on to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer has failed.

The MAPI provider failed.

Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store

ID no: 8004011d-0512-00000000

Unable to get an administrative interface to the mailbox store on server 'UnityServer'.

Error: The attempt to log on to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer has failed.

Unable to move mailbox 'Username'.

Error: The attempt to log on to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer has failed.

Hi Krishna -

I had this same problem in a 4.2(1) non-failover configuration. You can just move the mailbox using Move Mailbox in ADUC. Here are the procedures from Cisco:

To Move the Unity Messaging System Mailbox

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 Use the same procedures that you use for moving ordinary subscriber mailboxes in Exchange 5.5, Exchange 2000, or Exchange 2003 as indicated in the "Introduction to Cisco Unity Data and Message Storage" section.

Step 2 To prevent messages from unidentified callers from getting stuck in the Unity Messaging Repository (UMR) after the move, do the following sub-steps:

a. On the Windows Start menu, click Programs > Administrative Tools > Services.

b. From the Services window, stop and restart AvUMRSyncSvr service.

Once the UMR service has restarted (it may take a few minutes), Cisco Unity exhibits the following behavior:

Messages from unidentified callers that are addressed to subscribers who do not have full mailboxes are delivered.

As expected, messages from unidentified callers that are addressed to subscribers who have full mailboxes are not delivered. However, when Cisco Unity attempts to send a nondelivery receipt (NDR), the NDR gets stuck in the Unity Messaging System mailbox, and is never forwarded to the Unidentified Messages distribution list.

Step 3 To release any stuck NDRs from the Unity Messaging System mailbox, stop and restart the Cisco Unity software by using the system tray icon.

I used these steps successfully, not the ones mentioned in the reconfiguration/upgrade guide.

Ginger

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: