cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Emergency Responder / 3com Switches

rcarricato
Level 6
Level 6

I am installed CER version 2.0.3.1000-7. However they do not have Cisco switches. Is the only option to manually define everyone of the phones? This is a list of everything that I have done do far:

Create 911 Partition on CUCM

Create 911 CSS on CUCM and added Partitions to it (Make sure 911 Partition is first)

Create 911 CTI Route Point

Create CTI Ports For ER

Create Route Patterns for ELINs

Create Translation Patterns for ELINs

Create Translation Patternn for 9.911

Configure Gateway for 911 CSS

Set the CUCM Cluster on CER

Create CER User

Assoicate CER User to CTI Route Point and CTI Ports for 911

Update the ClusterDB Host and change to IP Address instead of hostname

Create SNMP Community String

The steps that I am confused about are:

Create Route Patterns for ELINs

Create Translation Patterns for ELINs

What is needed for these steps, I have read the entire CER Admin Guide multiple times and have tried setting it up however it usually ends badly. We have several departments:

1. Employees (All have DIDs)

2. Students (Do not have DIDs)

Employees can make local and LD calls but students can only make local calls.

Also I have added most of our ERLs. Do I just export the file by XML or CSV and the PSAP will know what to do with it?

Thanks for all the help, this is the first time that we are install CER.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can still import the phones, just will not show up to any switches. You will have to use CAM then. The phones will show up as unallocated phones, etc. Create the zones based on Subnets and it should.

Instead of using 911 as the emergency number, use a different for TESTING. use something like 920 or something different. Leave 911 to dial Emergency services to the PSTN for now. But use a different number for testing everything. So in the document, use 920 for example where they specify 911 (expect for the RP for 911 which is used for current production).

When you dial 920, it should hit CUCM, CUCM has the CTI 920 to CER. CER knows that 920 is "911" and starts the process of identifying the phone, and which ERL zone it is. Once it figures out hte ERL, it will then want to dial back out to CUCM with the zone exentions, say x4000. Take 4000 for the transpattern to 911, and translate that to your cell number. So basically you are dialing 920 (911) and you are the 911 PSAP center. (your cell phone) Then you can test this out during the day, during production and not interrupt production with current 911 Route Pattern to PSTN.

make sense?

View solution in original post

You can manually track the phones using Subnets with the zones.

So if switchA is has phones plugged into with subnet 192.168.4.x, then this would be defined as a ERL.

The IP address is coming from CUCM. It knows if the phones is registered and with what IP address it has been assigned. On your network, you will have to organize your subnets by location. May have to increase your DHCP scopes depending on how many zones you want to define.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can still import the phones, just will not show up to any switches. You will have to use CAM then. The phones will show up as unallocated phones, etc. Create the zones based on Subnets and it should.

Instead of using 911 as the emergency number, use a different for TESTING. use something like 920 or something different. Leave 911 to dial Emergency services to the PSTN for now. But use a different number for testing everything. So in the document, use 920 for example where they specify 911 (expect for the RP for 911 which is used for current production).

When you dial 920, it should hit CUCM, CUCM has the CTI 920 to CER. CER knows that 920 is "911" and starts the process of identifying the phone, and which ERL zone it is. Once it figures out hte ERL, it will then want to dial back out to CUCM with the zone exentions, say x4000. Take 4000 for the transpattern to 911, and translate that to your cell number. So basically you are dialing 920 (911) and you are the 911 PSAP center. (your cell phone) Then you can test this out during the day, during production and not interrupt production with current 911 Route Pattern to PSTN.

make sense?

I called 3com and they said that the only switches that support CAM are the very high end switches which they do not have.

The other stuff sounds good, I will try that out.

Question:

Do I need route patterns or translation patterns for each extension?

You can manually track the phones using Subnets with the zones.

So if switchA is has phones plugged into with subnet 192.168.4.x, then this would be defined as a ERL.

The IP address is coming from CUCM. It knows if the phones is registered and with what IP address it has been assigned. On your network, you will have to organize your subnets by location. May have to increase your DHCP scopes depending on how many zones you want to define.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Tommer,

Always innovative thinking from you! +5 points for these great tips.

Cheers!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: