cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco MPX and host name

rpenahelmig
Level 1
Level 1

Hello I just installed Cisco MPX and when trying to load the license it says it has uploaded succesful but it doesn't seem to take it.

It seems like the mpx_lm is starting but the "lmrgd" (can't remeber exact name) can't start.

I went to CLI and issued a mpx_lm -v restart and it showed the subprocess could start because of the host name.

My question is if there is a limitation on length of the hostname with domain sufix. seems like it cut out the last 3 characters. Or should I verify somewhere on MPX app that the name is complete in there?

As I test I changed the host name in the server eth0, removed the last 3 characters and the service came up and the licenses uploaded successfully. I would like to have the complete name if possible.

The length is about 35 char and it cuts it to 32.

hostname:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.xxxxxxxx.xxx.xx.xxx

cuts it to:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.xxxxxxxx.xxx.xx.

Thanks,

RPH

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Raul,

The 32 characters is the FQDN maximum :(

Have a look at the following;

Host Name

An arbitrary name for the eth0 host

This must be a Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN).

Can include any letters in upper or lower case, any numbers, period, and the dash symbol (-). Must be 32 characters or less and must start with a letter.

Example: mpxSystem.cisco.com

From this MeetingPlace Express installation doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6533/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a00807883a2.html#wp1176976

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Raul,

The 32 characters is the FQDN maximum :(

Have a look at the following;

Host Name

An arbitrary name for the eth0 host

This must be a Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN).

Can include any letters in upper or lower case, any numbers, period, and the dash symbol (-). Must be 32 characters or less and must start with a letter.

Example: mpxSystem.cisco.com

From this MeetingPlace Express installation doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6533/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a00807883a2.html#wp1176976

Hope this helps!

Rob