Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Phone Designer in Windows 7 won't start

allan.mancera
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all:

I've been working with CUCM for a while now, but I just downloaded the Cisco Phone Designer in my laptop to see how it works, and it turns out it won't start at all in my laptop. The message it show says "Phone Designer has encountered an issue that requires the application to be closed, if the problem persists, please contact your administrator", and a list of possible problems that I could have.

I've read the installation guide, and tried the workaround for Vista and XP that is documented there (about the "Format" in the Region and Languajes option in windows) and it didn't work.

I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) with 4GB in RAM.

I've attached an image of the error, hope this gives you more information.

Thank you for your time and attention

Allan Mancera

23 Replies 23

phamvinhdat
Level 3
Level 3

Have you tried to run application with Previous Windows setting. You can check the compatibility mode under properties setting.

Dat

yes phamvinhdat, I've tried to do the compatibility mode with XP and Vista, with and without Service Packs, and it doesn't work. Thanks for the idea though.

Best regards

Ing. Allan O. Mancera

Did you ever get a resolution to this?  I have the same issue occurring.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan:

Actually I didn't get a solution, a temporary workaround was to install a virtual machine with Win XP, and work from there.

hope someone has come up with a solution for this.

best regards

I have two users both running Windows 7 64-bit version that I just gave Phone Designer to for trial. Both received the same error reported in this

thread. We were able to install Phone Designer in a VM session on one of the two machines and got it to work just fine. This is fine and dandy for a group of IT guys to do but would not, of course, be practical for an enterprise. I guess a good question in this case is whether or not this is an issue with Windows 7 in general or the fact that the reported issues have been on a 64-bit version of the OS. Has anyone tried installing and running Phone Designer on a 32-bit version of Win7?

Yesterday I installed PhoneDesigner 713SR2 on a Win 7 32-bit and it worked fine. I tried it on my own win 7 64-bit today, but it will not start.

It seems illogical to me for Cisco to continue to take a stance of not supporting the Phone Designer for the Win7 64bit OS.  Windows 7 is a very good OS and it will be in heavy useage very soon.  There is a strong industry push to 64bit systems and this holdout by Cisco seems odd to me.

jeremy.hicks
Level 1
Level 1

i got phone designer working on 64bit win7 by using corflags.exe to force windows to run it in 32bit mode.

you can find corflags in:

Microsoft Windows 200X SDK   (C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\Bin\x64>)  (note: this path is from a Windows 7 SDK)

Visual Studio 2005 and above  (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\SDK\v 2.0\Bin)

or just find a download online if you don't have either.

then just run:

corflags "

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\Cisco Unified Phone Application\phonedesigner.exe" /32BIT+ /force

shalushar
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Allan,

Please check the below links for errors in Phone designer and a video which will help you in understanding features

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cupa/phone_designer/7.1/english/install/guide/PD4chapter.html#wp1053121

https://supportforums.cisco.com/videos/2392

Hope this helps.

Tx,

Shalu

If you have a 64 bit machine and want to run a .NET application that  only works with the 32 bit CLR you would have to make changes to the  .NET framework on your machine

Set the .NET framework to load the CLR in WOW mode through this command

Open up command prompt and type this command

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Ldr64.exe SetWow

Now you should be able to run apps that use only the .NET 32 bit CLR.

To revert back to the default 64 bit framework run

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Ldr64.exe Set64

Please rate, if it really helps you !!!

Worked Perfectly for me. Thanks Imthiyas.

Would be pretty cool if Cisco put out a natively 64-bit compatible version.

Zack

Hi Zack,

Please rate, if it really helps you

thanks

Hi Imthiyas Khan

Its works perfectly ! Thanks for sharing.

Regards

Lavanya - Technical Community Manager

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: