cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco switch port configuration for voice gateway uplink

Daniel Isham
Level 4
Level 4

We have an environment where all 5 sites are connected by fiber. Every building has POTS lines, and NO PRI / T1 is present. I am deploying 2901 voice gateways at each site for SRST purposes, and creating route groups for outbound calls to spill over to additional gateways. I wanted to get some feedback from the support community for the actual uplink switch configuration:

IE)

VLANs

3 - central building server vlan (where cucm sits and voice gateway router)

4 - central building voice vlan

5 - building 1 servers/ voice gateway router

6 - building 1 voice vlan

7 - building 2 severs/ voice gateway router

8 - building 2 voice vlan

9 - building 3 servers/voice gateway router

10 - building 3 voice vlan

What is a recommended configuration on the switch ports where the voice gateways are being uplinked?

Trunks have been configured properly for all of the switches back to the main 4507.

If calls are routed from another building's gateway (on a different voice vlan), do I need to make the switch port uplink a trunk for the gateway?

Any recommendations for QoS on those uplinks?

The lines are POTS lines so outbound QoS really isn't too much of a factor correct?

On the switch ports where the UCS VM traffic uplinks to, any specific recommendations / QoS on those ports?

Thank you all for your help - someone else setup the QoS / Switches recently and I just wanted to get a second opinion.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Simply configure the access vlan to be the voice vlan on that switch, no need to trunk anything unless the gateway is also a router for multiple vlan/subnets.

Chris

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Simply configure the access vlan to be the voice vlan on that switch, no need to trunk anything unless the gateway is also a router for multiple vlan/subnets.

Chris

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Chris, thanks again for providing endless valuable information!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: